Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys...

just got back from a ride... shattered ! :(

my right shifter finger lever just gave way when fully depressing it to shift up the cogs, gave out all resistence and now the lever swings freely.... the thumb shifter works as normal, but the finger lever does not engage the ratchet anymore...

pls tell me this is a simple fix? and some one has the part that can be shipped to Aus real quick... its my only roadie... :(

05 chorus ergopower... (alloy levers)

thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bit of an update, it is missing the top spring for the lever which explains why it was free moving, but would this also cause the non-engagement of the finger lever??

dunno where the hell that spring went.... :mad2:

in the bottom picture u can see the spring is missing before further dissassembly... does anything else look missing/broken? where can i get this spring? should i replace them all? anything else?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mate, i knew about branford, shipping is killer for a small part... hopefully a shop in Oz has it reasonably... i'm now more interested in whether the return spring for the finger lever is responsible for its engagement w/ the ratchet.... anybody???

cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
is it indeed the spring

...the exact same thing happened to me and like you I also took the entire lever apart only to find that it was the missing spring (which does not require disassembly of entire lever to fix the problem). From what I can tell in the pics all else looks good...since you already cracked it open you might as well change the g-springs and the thumb button spring and you will end up with a like new lever. Good luck putting back together. The youtube video posted in above is a great guide.Lou

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brilliant! thanks lads....depending on price i'll try to replace all the springs.... someone should do a kit damnit ! (if i replace the thumb one, and g springs, there is only one other internal spring!)

yeah, i didn't figure out the spring was missin' until complete disassembly... but given how much crud was in the shifters and how dirty they were, i'm not upset that i did... at the time i was even thinking of pulling apart the left shifter to simply clean it out !! haha, we'll see how putting this one together goes first .. :thumbsup:

thanks!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot for the help, the videos are handy!

I thought i'd post an update since its has now been rebuilt... for the 5th time... more on that later...

for others doing this, the main thing that stumped me was that the finger lever, when the last big coil spring is engaged and tensioned, will skip... this is not a defect of the G-springs as i initially thought w/ my 15000 km old ones... it seems obvious now, but the coil spring induces this to overcome the opposite tension of the shift cable !! (duh!)...

the only difficult part was properly engaging the hook on the inner spring w/ the thumb lever... not only is quite a bit of force required, but there is a definite amount of finesse required to properly engage the hook w/ the hole in the thumb lever plate... if not properly done, only a part of the hook will catch and will of course eventually slip... u need to use your opposite index finger to press down the spring to expose the most of the hook, only a bit will pop out while engaging, but as you push the thumb assembly inline w/ the main axle/bolt, more of the spring hook's head will come thru... then u know u've done it right...

screwing that part up and the suspicion of g-springs lead me to rebuilding it a few times... it is amazing how this system works, as it was quite compelling to try to figure it all out... but for 5 dollars the system has been restored... it is a thing of beauty ! :thumbsup:

my advice: don't try to figure the system out... if i'd just follow the video and had faith it'll all be good, i would have been done AGES ago... :rolleyes:

oh yes, as for removing the pin for the main lever for better access...even tho the pin is completely symmetrical, pushing it out from one side proved impossible!! try the other side! it was much easier for me which was a relief.... breaking the plastic body would be hell. :mad2:

cool, back on the road to try this out ! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.