Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently starting noticing poor shifting performance on my 05 Record Ergopower shifters (6months old <3000 miles) and Chorus rear cassette (>3000 miles) It seems like there isn't as distict a "click" when I use the inside lever that moves the chain to larger cogs - it happens to a lesser extent with the thumb shifter too. The chain basically shifts but then doesn't stay cleanly in the correct cog it want tto pop out. But then when I adjust the barrel adjuster it doesn't seem to fix the problem? I have done all the recommended steps like zero ing out the shifter and starting from scratch as well as using the barrel adjuster on the deraileur - but my gut is starting to tell me that its not the adjustment of the rear derailer for some reason. Is it possible that something is up with my shifter?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nik

· Registered
10,161 Posts
cables..

It's always possible for an ergo lever to have an early problem, but the most common is just the need for some lubing of the cables and housing or changing the shift cable and housing in the worst case. If you've never lubed your levers, there is a hole under the brake hood where lube can be applied, but apply sparingly or it tend to run on through and oil up the underside of the hood. Then the hood will need to be removed for cleaning and the ergo lever body wiped with mineral spirits to remove the oil.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Another thing to check is the cable guide under the BB. I was experiencing the same thing and found that I had a nice energy drink goo formed in the cable guide that was adding serious drag to the shift action.

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from test ride after cleaning cable routes as suggested...

the cable line was pretty clean though. I did realize that the right ergopower lever (rear der.) doesn't click like the left one does. The lever that moves the chain onto bigger cogs makes no sound as I run it up through the gears... Isn't it supposed to click or ratchet? This must have to do with the problem?.

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Try dropping some oil (like Phil's tenacious) into the greaseport on the top of the shifter, that may loosen up your G Springs.

If not, your G springs have worn (prematurely) and you'll have to replace them.

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the "G" springs - thanks for advice.

Good News: I successfully overhauled and replaced the G springs in my record Ergo levers and now they work like new again.

Bad News: Ironically, after completing such an advanced repair, I tore the rubber hood of ergolever putting it back on the lever! Hopefully there is a thread about the proper way to remove and install the hoods....

Nik

· Registered
48 Posts
I know this is going to sound bad but..

I have found that a little Vaseline rubbed under the brake hoods works wonders for getting them off and on. You might want to try grease.
Gee, that sounded worse than I thought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.