Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Build is Black Velocity Deep V’s, Ultegra 6600 hubs, Sapim CX-Rays, 32/32, brass nips, veloplugs. I have no idea what the wheels weigh, best guess is somewhere in the 1700-1800 gram range. I’m 175# on a Specialized Tarmac, been cycling for about 4 years. I just returned from the AIDS Lifecycle event (SF-LA ride of about 550 miles over 7 days), and was very satisfied with the performance of these wheels.

I can only compare this to the stock Alex wheels, and my last set of handbuilts (Mike Garcia DT1.1, Speedcific Hubs, AE15/XE14 28/28 Al nips. I’ll mainly compare against the DT’s because Alex wheels are not really comparable to either set.

Ergott’s wheels are stiffer and faster. The Deep V’s feel much more solid then the DT’s over broken pavement, and in general there is less flex, particularly from the front end. High speed handling (30 mph+) is more stable and safe. There is slightly more push from crosswinds, but it’s insignificant and not worth complaining about. I’ve had the bike up to 54 mph and it felt good, solid, and stable.

They may be slightly harder to accelerate than the DT’s, but I didn’t really notice. When riding up hills I was still making the same times as before. What I did notice was that the wheels seemed to hold speed better, both in pacelines and at the front. They worked really well on flats and rolling terrain. They do make my bike heavier, but at 18.75 pounds with pedals my bike isn’t light anyways.

The hubs come with a nice polish and are very quiet - the freewheel hardly makes any noise when you’re coasting. The rims are a nice matte black finish that contrast well with the black paint on the frame.

Working with Eric was good – I have no less than 16 e-mails from him from responding to my initial inquiry, through the build process and shipping. There were numerous delays with parts and he kept me well informed. The wheels were assembled nicely, and he used adequate packaging to protect them during shipping.

I feel that Eric delivered a well-built set of wheels that met my goals of durability, high strength, aerodynamics, and cost effectiveness. I’d buy another set from him, although I may never need another pair!

Edmund

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
<a href="https://aycu21.webshots.com/image/860/1207136621868650984_rs.jpg" target="new">Click here to see a high-res picture </a>if you want to have a closer look at the wheels.

Also, two other things:

1. 6600 front hubs have a recall on the QR skewer. It's prone to sudden failure. Not a good thing :)

2. I originally wanted DA 7800 hubs, but they are not 9-speed compatible. 6600 hubs are, and I wanted a matching set of hubs front/rear.

Edmund

· Registered
1 Posts

Build is Black Velocity Deep V’s, Ultegra 6600 hubs, Sapim CX-Rays, 32/32, brass nips, veloplugs. I have no idea what the wheels weigh, best guess is somewhere in the 1700-1800 gram range. I’m 175# on a Specialized Tarmac, been cycling for about 4 years. I just returned from the AIDS Lifecycle event (SF-LA ride of about 550 miles over 7 days), and was very satisfied with the performance of these wheels.

I can only compare this to the stock Alex wheels, and my last set of handbuilts (Mike Garcia DT1.1, Speedcific Hubs, AE15/XE14 28/28 Al nips. I’ll mainly compare against the DT’s because Alex wheels are not really comparable to either set.

Ergott’s wheels are stiffer and faster. The Deep V’s feel much more solid then the DT’s over broken pavement, and in general there is less flex, particularly from the front end. High speed handling (30 mph+) is more stable and safe. There is slightly more push from crosswinds, but it’s insignificant and not worth complaining about. I’ve had the bike up to 54 mph and it felt good, solid, and stable.

They may be slightly harder to accelerate than the DT’s, but I didn’t really notice. When riding up hills I was still making the same times as before. What I did notice was that the wheels seemed to hold speed better, both in pacelines and at the front. They worked really well on flats and rolling terrain. They do make my bike heavier, but at 18.75 pounds with pedals my bike isn’t light anyways.

The hubs come with a nice polish and are very quiet - the freewheel hardly makes any noise when you’re coasting. The rims are a nice matte black finish that contrast well with the black paint on the frame.

Working with Eric was good – I have no less than 16 e-mails from him from responding to my initial inquiry, through the build process and shipping. There were numerous delays with parts and he kept me well informed. The wheels were assembled nicely, and he used adequate packaging to protect them during shipping.

I feel that Eric delivered a well-built set of wheels that met my goals of durability, high strength, aerodynamics, and cost effectiveness. I’d buy another set from him, although I may never need another pair!

Edmund
Yeah, "stiffer, faster, yada, yada, yada....more marketing BS claims... burp" LOL

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,723 Posts
Yeah, "stiffer, faster, yada, yada, yada....more marketing BS claims... burp" LOL
First post on a 16 year old zombie thread and you decide to make it a snarky one? Good start, bucko - NOT.

Reactions: velodog
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.