Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contacted by someone claiming to be Eric Chartier who wanted to purchase a fork I am selling on MTBR. He didn't ask any questions about the fork and the emails I got from him here poorly worded, so naturally I was suspicious. Sure enough today I receive an "official check" for $1,900 (price was $300) from a bank in Oregon (seller said he was in Montana), envelope has no return address but the postage is in British Pounds :)

Original email sent:

Dave,

I am interested.

Also, Mode of payment will be Cashier check or Money Order depending on your preference. If Payment details can be sent to me today, I will send your payment to you tomorrow unfailingly. I am not local so you will probably add more on the price for the packaging but i will pay for the shipping.

Details should include your Full Name, Address and Phone Number.

Thanks
Eric​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I'd add some more info here in case this guy tries to rip off anyone else:

Email address: [email protected]

Fake bank check was postmarked in Birmingham, UK. No return address.

The bank on the check was Central Willamette Community Credit Union. They are a legit bank, but this check definitely is not. I called them to notify them someone is running a scam with fake bank checks, and they were aware of it already.

The bank check looks somewhat official, but has no watermark or other simple security measures. I'll put up a scanned copy here tomorrow. All of the details were hand written on the check, which should be a big tip off to anyone. Every time I have gotten a money order from my bank the info is printed on the check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts