Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with the Ericksen seat post? I'm intrigued by the simplicity of the clamping system not to mention the ability to color coordinate with my bike.

http://kenteriksen.com/comp_seatpost.html

Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have no experience with them but have read some good reviews. It’s on my “like to have” list but I just sprung for a used Thomson for about ¼ of the price- the $150 difference between the two would go a long way towards more meaningful upgrades.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
They're beautiful posts (took a few pics at NAHBS) and I've heard good reviews. But I just cannot bring myself to lay out $200+ for a seat post.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i know people happy with his bikes, so i bet the seat posts are pretty good too.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Ericksen's stuff is nice. But if you don't need your post to be Ti others are using the same clamp design. Below is a Bontrager clamp which they use on every model (I think every model, I could be wrong.). I use the Bonti Aluminum Core Composite Race X Lite on my mountain bike. The clamp design allows for any angle, which is just like the Ericksen. The ACC set me back $100 compared to $218 for the similar length in an Ericksen.

Before anyone gets upity about carbon seatposts breaking I have some experience with that. Several years ago the Record Carbon post in my Seven broke well above the minimum insertion line. They warrantied it for the Ti version.

Two years ago I broke an LP Composites on my MTB. Since I'd only ridden on it for a month I decided to forgo the warranty and I bought the Bontrager ACC. When that Frame broke at the top tube weld (a problem with the GF Rig's of '06) it took most of the carbon with it. The aluminum core would not yield. While it was destroyed by the frame, it was covered by its own warranty as well as the frame being warrentied. GF replaced the Rig with a Ferrous and the new seat post has been free of any issues.

If you're enamored by Ti seat posts then by all means get the Ericksen. If you're on a budget and you'd like that well engineered clamp design take a look at the Bontragers and other brands for less money.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have quite a bit of experience with them. They are not new...I think I saw my first one 2 years ago on a MTB. Strength is not a concern.

They are strong, light, and very very simple to set up. Many posts claim to be infinitely adjustable, these actually are.

Pricey? Yes, but like most GREAT bike parts, you will never need to replace it. OTOH, functionally, it would be hard to argue that a Thomson will not work just as well.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have one on my Eriksen 29er and love it. Easy to adjust, looks cool, and is light and strong. I also have a Black Sheep post much like the Eriksen. I like it too for all the same reasons. Both great Ti posts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Eriksen or maybe Engin

I have several Moots posts along with an Eriksen. The Eriksen is much easier to install the seat on and is easily adjustable. If your looking for color matching and something really different look at Engin Cycles post. Best looking post out there, same type of clamp as the Eriksen but Stainless Steel.

http://www.engincycles.com/

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
I have a race X lite ACC and it's treated me well. I've actually managed to screw up a saddle mounted to it in a crash and it's held up with no issue. looks nice and is a breeze to adjust. i can't convince myself to purchases a different seatpost clamp design ever (well possibly the new 3t palladio, but that's it).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
They will only hold standard 7mm rails so that leaves out just about every saddle with carbon rails because of their varying sizes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have eriksen posts on my mountain bikes and think they are awesome because of the flex and strength but I don't know that it would be of much benefit on a road bike where you don't really need much shock absorption in your post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts