Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think somebody tried to steal my front wheel today. I normally keep my front QR lever tucked right behind or right in front of the fork. Today it was way out to the front. Like parallel to the ground. I would never leave it like that. Is there any other way this coulda happened on its own or whatever?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the front wheel was locked. I usually just lock the front one, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to lock both. =-/

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
MWPDX said:
Is there any other way this coulda happened on its own or whatever?
Highly unlikely. Once a QR lever is pushed over-center, only outside force can open it. Could have been a prank too, you know, like stringing wires across a multi-use path as was popular in 1950s Germany. :cryin:

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
MWPDX said:
Yeah, the front wheel was locked. I usually just lock the front one, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to lock both. =-/
Just get a long cable and a U-lock. Theres no way thats going to be going anywhere. Depending on where I'm going Ill use either a U-lock or my chain (thats named The Beast) that weighs ten pounds and goes through both my wheels and the frame. Just get something to go around both wheels. It's kinda silly to assume that someone will be deterred from taking your rear wheel because of the chain since it doesnt get in the way really.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
wim said:
Highly unlikely. Once a QR lever is pushed over-center, only outside force can open it. Could have been a prank too, you know, like stringing wires across a multi-use path as was popular in 1950s Germany. :cryin:
Wait, didn't they do that in WWII in an attempt to take the heads off of GIs in Jeeps?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
take off your front wheel and lock up both wheels and the frame.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tomk96 said:
take off your front wheel and lock up both wheels and the frame.

Yeah, I might end up doing that... they're not any kind of fancy wheels though. I mean I like them cause I've gone over all kinds of potholes and things with them and they don't get out of alignment or out of true or however you say it, but they're just w/e comes stock on an 06 or 07 allez. Still, I guess it'd be just as hard to ride home on a no-wheeled bike whether they were $50 wheels or $500 wheels.

Do you know if the smaller kryptonite U-Locks are big enough to lock both wheels they way you describes? I've done it w/ one of the longer ones but I kinda wanna get one of the smaller ones (I lost the keys to that one and I'm using a cheap master lock right now which doesn't feel secure at all). I'm thinking either the NY or the orange one, whatever it's called.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
MWPDX said:
Yeah, I might end up doing that... they're not any kind of fancy wheels though. I mean I like them cause I've gone over all kinds of potholes and things with them and they don't get out of alignment or out of true or however you say it, but they're just w/e comes stock on an 06 or 07 allez. Still, I guess it'd be just as hard to ride home on a no-wheeled bike whether they were $50 wheels or $500 wheels.

Do you know if the smaller kryptonite U-Locks are big enough to lock both wheels they way you describes? I've done it w/ one of the longer ones but I kinda wanna get one of the smaller ones (I lost the keys to that one and I'm using a cheap master lock right now which doesn't feel secure at all). I'm thinking either the NY or the orange one, whatever it's called.
It kind of depends on what your locking it to but I think that a medium u-lock should do it.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
I have a 6 ft cable lock that goes easily through both wheels and the frame.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
waldo425 said:
Wait, didn't they do that in WWII in an attempt to take the heads off of GIs in Jeeps?
Dunno, maybe. They used to do it all the time to Nazi motorcycle troops in Hollywood WWII movies. :)

The 1950s Germany thing was an attempt to keep cyclists off multi-use paths on Sundays and holidays. Somehow the peds thought the trails ought to be theirs alone on the week-ends. The wires were hub-high, designed to cause a "harmless" fall. After a few arrests, the whole thing went away.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Years ago while walking up to a financial office at a university saw a guy walking a bike without a front wheel. We laughed, idiot forgot to lock the front wheel and someone stole it or so we thought. as we walked up to the bike rack at the front door there was the front wheel locked to the bike rack. Get a longer chain/cable, lock all parts of the bike. if you make it easy someone will steal it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
In college, waaay back when, I loaned my bike (and lock) to a room mate. He locked the bike to a lamp post, but didn't run the cable through the front wheel. I do believe I gave him at least brief instructions how to lock it, including the front wheel. Anyway, he returned to find the front wheel gone. The unfortuante part is that the replacement wheel cost about as much as the bike cost me originally, but I had to make him buy it for me. Neither of us could afford it, but I needed the bike for transportation and it was his fault, not mine. Luckily, he was a stand up guy and just gulped and did the right thing.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
ive thought of those, but then you have another tool to worry about. and it takes longer to fix a flat.

just lock the bike the right way.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
MWPDX said:
i noticed in college that it was pretty common to find bikes and bike parts missing at bike racks. for example, a bike with no front tire would be locked up next to a front tire with no bike. obviously somebody took the bike that was only locked by the front tire and took somebody else's wheel that wasn't secure. doesn't matter the cost of the items they may steal if your bike isn't rideable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.