Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, there's a ton of cheap Escape brifters on the market. Other than dropping all 10 gears at once what's the big difference? I'm using Daytona 10 sp now and seldom if ever have to drop the entire cassette at once. Is that really such a big deal?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm putting together a spare/bad weather bike and don't want to drop all the money a new set of brifters cost.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
thoughts...

No one needs to shift through all the cogs at once. Even the new ultrashift levers only have the ability to shift 5 cogs smaller with a push of the thumb button.

Normal shifting between the chainrings requires a 2-3 cog shift though. To me, hitting the thumb button 2-3 times would be a pain. The ability to trim the FD is also limited.

The new Veloce ultrashift ergopower can be had for as little as a $100 from the UK, so those escape shifters would have to be real cheap to be worth buying..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C-40 said:
No one needs to shift through all the cogs at once. Even the new ultrashift levers only have the ability to shift 5 cogs smaller with a push of the thumb button.

Normal shifting between the chainrings requires a 2-3 cog shift though. To me, hitting the thumb button 2-3 times would be a pain. The ability to trim the FD is also limited.

The new Veloce ultrashift ergopower can be had for as little as a $100 from the UK, so those escape shifters would have to be real cheap to be worth buying..
Thanks, do you have a link to those Veloce shifters? Do they charge duty on them?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

cs1 said:
Thanks, do you have a link to those Veloce shifters? Do they charge duty on them?
The current price is $108 after deducting the 15% VAT. There is no duty. All other Campy parts and tires are so much cheaper at Ribble, that I stock up on chains and other consumables to soften the nearly $30 freight charge.

When you consider that you get a cableset worth about $40, the shifters are dirt cheap.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CAMPGRSS931000000000

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 said:
The current price is $108 after deducting the 15% VAT. There is no duty. All other Campy parts and tires are so much cheaper at Ribble, that I stock up on chains and other consumables to soften the nearly $30 freight charge.

When you consider that you get a cableset worth about $40, the shifters are dirt cheap.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CAMPGRSS931000000000
Thanks for the link. I can't believe they still have NOS 9 sp levers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts