Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
go up
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching ESPN a few days ago and guess what was on? I was surprised to find the World Juggling Championships being shown.

WTF???

There has been a good deal of discussion here and elsewhere concerning showing pro races, or rather, the lack of it. In many responses, the feeling is there is not enough interest in marketing during bike races. But, Juggling??? I still can't believe it was on. At one point during an intense and most impressive display of athletisism and competitive fortitude, one of the competitors, (a household name no doubt), attempted a 5-up, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1, with a 360 immediately after a double-flat-spin with no transitional throw. . . anyway, the camera broke off from the most awe-inspiring display to show the fan-filled stadium, well, uhhh, the 20 or so people sitting on the wooden bleachers in the corner of the room.

How can this be?

I'm not bashing the jugglers, I just can't fathom juggling garners a larger audience than cycling.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
ESPN doesn't counter-program against NBA playoff games, or NFL, or March Madness. When you see pool or juggling on ESPN, flick over to network sports and you'll see why.

I don't think they paid much to the NAJA, or whatever juggling body sells the broadcast rights. Certainly less than OLN is paying for broadcast rights.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
deadlegs said:
How can this be?
I was flipping through the other day, and ESPN2 had the US paintball championships on.

Go Portland!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Juggling may not be a sport, but joggling is. Joggling is running while juggling, and Zach Warren just joggled a sub-three hour Boston Marathon. He was competing against Michal Kapral, who had set the previous record of 3:07:05 at the Philadelphia Marathon. This year, Zach beat Michal by almost nine minutes, setting the new world record.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First Poker, now Paintball, what next "The World Championship For Spin The Bottle, or Hide and Seek". The funny thing is, not that I would watched 30 seconds of these shows, are the announcers. They act like they are broadcasting the Super Bowl "Jon has a really great technique". You have got to be kidding me. I could have beat him back to home base when I was 5 years old.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
I've run across Spelling Bees on ESPN. No ****.

I have to say that joggling 26.2 miles in ~3 hours is pretty darn impressive.

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
since espn is too retarded to even show hockey these days except for on sportscenter, i'm not really expecting a whole lot of cycling from them. the espn networks pretty much went to hell once the whole texas hold'em fad started.

·
Registered
37 Posts
espn does show cycling!

if there is a major race in your area like I have the National Criterium Championships, they show it in your local area.I've seen it tons of times.It isn;t braodcasted nationally but it is broadcasted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ESPN does show quite a few fringe sports but the one I will always watch is the Lumberjack competitions. I have no idea why I enjoy watching though.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Ever seen indoor yachting? Olympic-sized swimming pools, a sailboard type "yacht" and gigantic fans to propel the boats? On ESPN- lovely.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
filtersweep said:
Ever seen indoor yachting? Olympic-sized swimming pools, a sailboard type "yacht" and gigantic fans to propel the boats? On ESPN- lovely.
That sounds so good.

I wanna get into that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
HDNet

On the brighter side, HDNet showed the "Little 500" both Men's and Women's competition this last weekend. That and OLN's coverage of L-B-L made for a nice weekend for me.

Dancer

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
filtersweep said:
Originally the channel was called the Entertainment and Sports Network, since abbreviated officially to ESPN. So providing a little entertainment along with sports is not really a deviation from their mission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts