Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ride Like You Stole It!
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Email ESPN

i think we should all write an email to espn and let them know that there is a big fan base for cycling on tv, and hopefully they will try to show more races. tell me what you think or if you have any ideas.contact espn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
The Tour of California is on this week on ESPN2.

Although I like the idea of trying to increase TV coverage of cycling, there just isn't the fan base. I think the fan base is growing, but it is still relatively small compared to anything else on ESPN (yes, even the dog shows and bowling).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
grampy bone said:
The Tour of California is on this week on ESPN2.

Although I like the idea of trying to increase TV coverage of cycling, there just isn't the fan base. I think the fan base is growing, but it is still relatively small compared to anything else on ESPN (yes, even the dog shows and bowling).
ESPN 2 gave the Tour de California a key spot... for Feb. 20th, it was on at 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM (ET).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
TiVo...

mrrun2fast said:
ESPN 2 gave the Tour de California a key spot... for Feb. 20th, it was on at 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM (ET).
TiVo baby, TiVo, if you don't have one, get one. It makes TV watching so much easier, and so much easier to record the stuff that you want to see.

As someone else said though, cycling is not a huge sport in America, we think so, but we like it. There isn't any sponsorship dollars in it, most people don't understand it, and let's face the reality of it, it's boring to watch on TV, hell, it's boring to watch in person. Coverage of cycling has no appeal in the US, except for le Tour, and that was when Armstrong was riding it. Now that he's gone, and there is no apparent American to take over the top spot (not that the general public knows at least), OLN's numbers on the Tour coverage are going to shrink incredibly, unless of course an American is fighting for the top step of the podium, and then people might get interested. Cycling is an obscure sport in America. It takes too much "thinking" for most people to get it. We can write all the letters we want, but in the end, it's not going to get us much of anything, because money talks, and there is no money in advertising dollars for cycling.
 

·
Doesn't like subtitles
Joined
·
3,808 Posts
Tivo

This is an idea of the impact of cycling on the American consciousness. I'm Tivo-ing the TOC; I do a program search under sports and it gives you choices of specific sports to look for. Some selections include handball, hydroplane boating, hurling, and Gaelic football, but no cycling. It did have mountain biking though.
 

·
Looking for my Amish Love
Joined
·
907 Posts
Ok I understand cyling is not a huge sport for TV, but here on the east coast at 12:00am was womens cross country running. So.... xc running is more popular than the tour of Ca? The xc running was so boring it made me fall asleep on the couch and I missed the Tour :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
capt_phun said:
So.... xc running is more popular than the tour of Ca? The xc running was so boring it made me fall asleep on the couch and I missed the Tour :(
It's not about being boring. It's about people watching things they are interested in. Golf is boring to watch, but there are a lot of golfers out there--enough to support a whole golf channel. There just are not enough cyclists in U.S. to outweigh the millions of ******** who want to watch the PBR or pool or poker or the world's strongest man contest.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
936 Posts
In a word. . .

capt_phun said:
So.... xc running is more popular than the tour of Ca?
. . Yes. This topic is a beaten horse. Cycling is even less than a fringe sport in America. So is spending more than $200 on a bicycle.
:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
. . Yes. This topic is a beaten horse. Cycling is even less than a fringe sport in America. So is spending more than $200 on a bicycle.
:rolleyes:

But didn't ESPN first get its humble beginnings televising "off the wall " sporting events??? If they want to get back to their roots--which they probably don't----they would televise cycling on a regular basis....


Just don't allow Chris B-R-R-R-R-man to be involved & ruin the whole thing..... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Actually..

Under ACrookedSky said:
It's not about being boring. It's about people watching things they are interested in. Golf is boring to watch, but there are a lot of golfers out there--enough to support a whole golf channel. There just are not enough cyclists in U.S. to outweigh the millions of ******** who want to watch the PBR or pool or poker or the world's strongest man contest.
Actually, there are millions upon millions of people who ride bikes in the US, but there just ain't a lot of us that are interested in the racing aspect of it. I would guess that for the majority of folks in the US, bicycles are viewed as either something you do with your kids on the weekend, or for general exercise (got to get their 20-30 minutes in per day), or just a toy. The majority of folks don't even think about racing, and when they do, they think it's easy, and well, boring. Lots of people ride bikes, but there aren't a ton of cyclists. Know what I mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
My favorite part about their coverage of the ToC is that, even here in Colorado, it's on at the witching hour. At least I got to re-learn how to program my VCR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
hfc said:
This is an idea of the impact of cycling on the American consciousness. I'm Tivo-ing the TOC; I do a program search under sports and it gives you choices of specific sports to look for. Some selections include handball, hydroplane boating, hurling, and Gaelic football, but no cycling. It did have mountain biking though.
both of my Tivos have a bicycle racing selection :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
From the ads I saw, it looks like this is a typical example of a time buy (infomercial). The ToC promoters bought the hour from ESPN and then tried to resell the time. Since almost all the ads were from race sponsors, I'd assume they didn't have much success and the ads and the broadcast were part of the sponsorship agreement. ESPN probably didn't care when the race was broadcast as long as the promoters paid the corresponding rate for the time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
magnolialover said:
Actually, there are millions upon millions of people who ride bikes in the US, but there just ain't a lot of us that are interested in the racing aspect of it. I would guess that for the majority of folks in the US, bicycles are viewed as either something you do with your kids on the weekend, or for general exercise (got to get their 20-30 minutes in per day), or just a toy. The majority of folks don't even think about racing, and when they do, they think it's easy, and well, boring. Lots of people ride bikes, but there aren't a ton of cyclists. Know what I mean?
Exactly...... and your average Joe cannot relate to 130lb guys in spandex.....
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top