Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I already have an sram 11 speed bike can I just change the shifters and derailleurs to etap or is there more to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Curious what you figured out.

I've also wondered if I had a bike with Ultegra 11 speed could you upgrade to Etap just doing the Brifters and deraileirs or would you have to swap brakes calipers also?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Curious what you figured out.

I've also wondered if I had a bike with Ultegra 11 speed could you upgrade to Etap just doing the Brifters and deraileirs or would you have to swap brakes calipers also?
For Ultegra 6800 you should also swap the brake calipers.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Just curious, why? I mean the 6800's will work. Just a "don't mix component" thing?
Sram uses the "old" pull ratio and the 6800 is the "new Shimano" pull ratio. What will happen will be that the levers will be really mushy. Art's says in their video about it that it's so mushy that it's dangerous. It's your call if it's too dangerous or not or too mushy or not.

Because the very popular Shimano uses a different ratio than most everyone else, I find it's always best to just match the levers to the calipers in all situations. Never a problem that way. Calipers aren't super expensive and it's best to have the braking work as intended by the engineers.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sram uses the "old" pull ratio and the 6800 is the "new Shimano" pull ratio. What will happen will be that the levers will be really mushy. Art's says in their video about it that it's so mushy that it's dangerous. It's your call if it's too dangerous or not or too mushy or not.

Because the very popular Shimano uses a different ratio than most everyone else, I find it's always best to just match the levers to the calipers in all situations. Never a problem that way. Calipers aren't super expensive and it's best to have the braking work as intended by the engineers.
Didn't know that thx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts