Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here in the wheels forum (might be first post, period?) but I frequented MTBR for a long time until my move from AZ to Florida and my switch to primarily road riding.

Need some recommendations for a wheelset that will serve double duty both as race day wheels (primarily crits) and a good set of lightweight climbing wheels to take me up Alpe d'Huez + this summer in l'etape du tour http://www.letapedutour.com/2006/us/index.htm . Right now I just have an everyday set of Weyless Korso's which have been rock solid but are also on the heavy side. I'm 165-170 as a rule but am hoping to drop down to 160 by the time the Tour rolls around. I'm more of a masher than a spinner. Budget is $350 to $500.

Here is my shortlist thus far - feel free to add if you see any glaring omissions.

Velomax Ascent II's or the Tempest II's
Odds and Endos DT Swiss RR1.1/Speedcific (Mike built me a set of very nice DT Swiss/WTB MTB wheels that are still going strong despite a few spoke failures - my fault :) )
White Industries LTA (may be over the budget)
Am Classic 350 Sprints - love the weight of these but am a bit wary of the horror stories and not confident that they'll last a couple of alpine descents intact

Rolf's are out. I just dont' like the way they look.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Srexy said:
Velomax Ascent II's or the Tempest II's
Odds and Endos DT Swiss RR1.1/Speedcific (Mike built me a set of very nice DT Swiss/WTB MTB wheels that are still going strong despite a few spoke failures - my fault :) )
White Industries LTA (may be over the budget)
Am Classic 350 Sprints - love the weight of these but am a bit wary of the horror stories and not confident that they'll last a couple of alpine descents intact

Rolf's are out. I just dont' like the way they look.
FWIW, the White Industries hubs are now the H1s. Lighter than the DT Swiss and cheaper. I'd go with either the Mike Garcia build or a build through Ligero Wheelworks ( http://www.ligerowheels.com/ ). Troy at Ligero is muy responsive to questions and email. See what he thinks.

If you can't come up w/ a selection, though, I'll happily stand in for you at L'Etape.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Check out the new Neuvations, too. Quite light, well made, and great customer service.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alienator said:
FWIW, the White Industries hubs are now the H1s. Lighter than the DT Swiss and cheaper. I'd go with either the Mike Garcia build or a build through Ligero Wheelworks ( http://www.ligerowheels.com/ ). Troy at Ligero is muy responsive to questions and email. See what he thinks.

If you can't come up w/ a selection, though, I'll happily stand in for you at L'Etape.
You may well have to if my effing quack doesn't come through w/a medical release soon.

Took you up on your advice and dropped Troy an email - he suggested Alex R400 rims, White Ind. H1 hubs laced w/combination of triple/double butted spokes. I countered w/the CX-Rays and that is what it's going to end up being. 1335-1355g all in.

Thank you for the recommendation. Turns out that Troy used to race in my newish locale and is well versed in the Florida crit scene. I'm very pleased w/the projected weight and it sounds as if I won't be giving up too much lateral stiffness w/this build.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know the weight on the White Ind H1 hub? I'm planning on getting some handbuilts and had my mind set on DT hubs, so just curious how the H1 compares overall.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Swift65 said:
Does anyone know the weight on the White Ind H1 hub? I'm planning on getting some handbuilts and had my mind set on DT hubs, so just curious how the H1 compares overall.
Front: 72g
Rear: 217ish g

·
Registered
123 Posts
Srexy said:
You may well have to if my effing quack doesn't come through w/a medical release soon.

Took you up on your advice and dropped Troy an email - he suggested Alex R400 rims, White Ind. H1 hubs laced w/combination of triple/double butted spokes. I countered w/the CX-Rays and that is what it's going to end up being. 1335-1355g all in.

Thank you for the recommendation. Turns out that Troy used to race in my newish locale and is well versed in the Florida crit scene. I'm very pleased w/the projected weight and it sounds as if I won't be giving up too much lateral stiffness w/this build.

May I ask how much you were quoted for your wheelset? I'll be doing The Etape in July as well and thinking my Gipiemme Grecal Parade wheels (1830 grams) may not be the best choice (only 16 spokes). Next is to decide which tires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
esenkay said:
May I ask how much you were quoted for your wheelset? I'll be doing The Etape in July as well and thinking my Gipiemme Grecal Parade wheels (1830 grams) may not be the best choice (only 16 spokes). Next is to decide which tires.

Thanks.
Sent you an IM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts