Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy this new '06 Cannondale Six13 Team1...LBS agrees to put a compact Cannondale Si crank on in leiu of the standard double as part of the deal. I'm cleaning the chain and gears etc and I see a quality Inspection tag on the Cannondale compact crank set (made by FSA) dated 5/98! I have all Dura Ace w/ the exception of this crank....When I buy new, I expect the latest stuff...correct?

What should I do? (BTW, I've been having shifting problems w/going from the small gear to the big - it's a 34/50 and the LBS is trying to find a solution)

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
euro-trash said:
Are you sure it's May, 1998 and not some internal code that happens to be 598? Is it a mtn bike crank? Compact road cranks weren't made in 1998. Was FSA even in existance in 1998, I can't remember?
You have to be right, that number must mean something else. What year did Tyler make them famous? It was after 1999 for sure. The year he broke his collarbone early in the tour. With julian dates, the first number signifies the year. Could be 98th day of 2005.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
euro-trash said:
Are you sure it's May, 1998 and not some internal code that happens to be 598? Is it a mtn bike crank? Compact road cranks weren't made in 1998. Was FSA even in existance in 1998, I can't remember?
I may be mistaken about all this and in all fairness to my LBS I'll wait for their take on the situation. I might have jumped the gun here......regardless, I still have shifting problems that needs to get figured out.

Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
356 Posts
I'm certain that FSA didn't make a carbon-fiber compact crankset with Torx bolts on it back in 1998. Your crankset is much newer than that.

There were some 110mm road cranks made back then, but they were very uncommon.

· Registered
123 Posts
No way that crank is from 1998. Only FSA knows what the number sequence means, but the crank is 2005 or 2006 from how I remember the Cannondale offerings.

It can be very tricky to adjust a FD for clean shifting with a 16 tooth jump. I did mine myself on my 50/34 and it was tedious to say the least. However, once I got it dialed in it worked great. You may be better off with a compact specific FD, Campy and FSA have versions out.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boardmill said:
No way that crank is from 1998. Only FSA knows what the number sequence means, but the crank is 2005 or 2006 from how I remember the Cannondale offerings.

It can be very tricky to adjust a FD for clean shifting with a 16 tooth jump. I did mine myself on my 50/34 and it was tedious to say the least. However, once I got it dialed in it worked great. You may be better off with a compact specific FD, Campy and FSA have versions out.
Thank you everybody.....it's very frustrating to have a bike with what I perceive to be "near the top" in quality to have shifting issues right out of the gate (hey, I'm used to good 'ol reliable Hondas).

My LBS says the same thing, that it's at least an '05 or later.....I'm just tempted to go to a 36/50 and not deal with the hassel of this big gear jump. What I'm going to request is a Shimano (DA?) 50T to be bolted onto the crank in lieu of the FSA OEM brand...I'm sure they are available - then go with a 36T on the smaller. I have the Dura Ace FD and cog set.

I cleaned w/cleaner and then lubed the chain up yesteday with White Lightning (it's what I had on hand-maybe not the optimum) anyway it seemed to shift smoother. Bear in mind I only have about 100 miles on the bike right now. Does shifting get better with time..I mean like get any crisper? All the downshifts work fine and are very quick!

· Registered
2,699 Posts
NSXER said:
Thank you everybody.....it's very frustrating to have a bike with what I perceive to be "near the top" in quality to have shifting issues right out of the gate (hey, I'm used to good 'ol reliable Hondas).

My LBS says the same thing, that it's at least an '05 or later.....I'm just tempted to go to a 36/50 and not deal with the hassel of this big gear jump. What I'm going to request is a Shimano (DA?) 50T to be bolted onto the crank in lieu of the FSA OEM brand...I'm sure they are available - then go with a 36T on the smaller. I have the Dura Ace FD and cog set.

I cleaned w/cleaner and then lubed the chain up yesteday with White Lightning (it's what I had on hand-maybe not the optimum) anyway it seemed to shift smoother. Bear in mind I only have about 100 miles on the bike right now. Does shifting get better with time..I mean like get any crisper? All the downshifts work fine and are very quick!
I run 50/34 with no problems. It is all down to adjustment. Changing to 50/36 might make a tiny differencde but not noticeable if the mechanic has taken a little time.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
NSXER said:

Don't expect much improvement if you install a Shimano compact big ring.

I currently run the Shimano R700 Compact on a Cannondale Six13 with DA shifters and front der. I have also owned the FSA SLK compact and shifting to the big ring on BOTH systems is not as smooth as say what you'd get from a DA 10 (non compact) set. Truth be told the SLK's seems to shift a little better than the Shimano R700.

Don't get me wrong, my shifting isn't horrible (or even bad) but it isn't as sweet as with the DA 10 Standard cranks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.