Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
CAADalyst
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the time of year where for two weeks I only ride once or twice as I prepare for and take my law school exams. Today I managed to make it out to my favorite group ride (my first and only ride this week).

While out I was doing alot of work on the front to try and get in a hard ride to hold on to as much fitness as possible in my limited rides. Unfortunately, I got a flat about 2/3 of the way though. I pulled out, checked my tire, changed my tube and was about to infllate with my CO2 when it exploded in my hand. Luckily, two guys who had been dropped cam by at least 5-10 minutes behind the group. They gave me a Co2, I thanked them and we set off.

One of them pulled for about 5 mins at around 18mph and then I got on the front and tried to pick it up a little to at least 20mph. When I looked back they were about 75 yards back. I started to slow to wait, but I really needed to get in a hard ride which wasnt happening with those two and in the end it wasnt like we were riding together before the flat anyway. So I went on.

When I got back and was packing up my bike they rolled in and one said "that was really inconsiderate". I apologized and tried to explain, but he wasnt having it.

So was I wrong? I go to this ride almost every week and these guys are always there, so I kinda dread seeing them after this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So they helped you out which allowed you to finish your ride. And you feel guilty for dropping them? No explanations necessary, as the next time they won't stop to help. Just replace the CO2 they gave you and let it go.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Buy these guys a couple Starbucks or McDonald's gift cards and replace their CO2. Attach a copy of a note to the cards, explaining to them how you felt that day about the ride, the stress of Law School, and how you really just wanted to let it rip! Tell them that you still think they're really great guys.

Then just let it go! Life is too short...Move on!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
While out I was doing alot of work on the front to try and get in a hard ride to hold on to as much fitness as possible in my limited rides.
It never occurred to you to explain this before you rode off and left them after they interrupted their ride to help you? How long would it have taken to ride their pace, and explain this compared to how long they were stopped? But as others have said, don't worry about it too much; it's not like they're going to stop for you again. Also, you'd be surprised how fast others will hear about this.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Kinda depends on the nature of the group ride and the expectations of the individuals, which can vary all over the place and be rationally justified or not. I don't hang back for slower riders unless there's an explicit prior agreement that we are riding together or if they don't know route and they need my guidance, and even then I'll often ride ahead and wait for them at the next turn, or perhaps circle back.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'd have waited for them and then dropped them again so as to feel 2x as good. Next week just wink and say "I hope you upped your training or you'll get more of what you got last week."

But I'd make sure I had two CO2's next time - and two tubes.

·
CAADalyst
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies...I understand that i wouldnt have made it back without them and I thanked them over and over after the tube was inflated. However, I mean Iv stopped and gave C02s before, its just what you do. I dont feel they owe me anything afterward. They were riding alone before so i didnt think it was a big deal for them to ride it in alone after.

Once agian I really wasnt trying to be inconsiderate and I feel bad they felt slighted, but I honestly just cant understand the problem. We werent riding together before, they stopped and help, I said thanks, and we continued on our ride them together as before and me on up the road.

I honestly wasnt trying to show how fast I was or anything like that (because Im not)

·
Registered
23,044 Posts
Thanks for the replies...I understand that i wouldnt have made it back without them and I thanked them over and over after the tube was inflated. However, I mean Iv stopped and gave C02s before, its just what you do. I dont feel they owe me anything afterward. They were riding alone before so i didnt think it was a big deal for them to ride it in alone after.

Once agian I really wasnt trying to be inconsiderate and I feel bad they felt slighted, but I honestly just cant understand the problem. We werent riding together before, they stopped and help, I said thanks, and we continued on our ride them together as before and me on up the road.

I honestly wasnt trying to show how fast I was or anything like that (because Im not)
Sounds to me that after you fixed the flat and you rode together for a while, they thought there was some sort of Bro-ship going on, then you ditched your new Bro's. I bet if after you fixed the flat you thanked them and rode off, it wouldn't have been an issue.
I guess before you rode off, you could have said "Hey guys I'm going to ride ahead, thanks I'll catch you later". But who would've thought they'd get their panties in a bunch.

I don't get what they thought was inconsiderate. Is it because you didn't ride together the entire way back? Because you left them in the dust?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Plus is not like you left one guy, you left both of them. They were riding as a pair before, you didn't split them up so one of them was then left solo... you rode solo as you were before.

Maybe it would have been nice if you rode with them, but then again, it sounds like they're being a little overly sensitive here.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'd have waited for them and then dropped them again so as to feel 2x as good. Next week just wink and say "I hope you upped your training or you'll get more of what you got last week."

But I'd make sure I had two CO2's next time - and two tubes.
I'd buy a pump, and pump them up the same way I do at the shop just on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
While out I was doing alot of work on the front to try and get in a hard ride to hold on to as much fitness as possible in my limited rides.

Luckily, two guys who had been dropped cam by at least 5-10 minutes behind the group. They gave me a Co2, I thanked them and we set off.

I started to slow to wait, but I really needed to get in a hard ride which wasnt happening with those two and in the end it wasnt like we were riding together before the flat anyway. So I went on.

When I got back and was packing up my bike they rolled in and one said "that was really inconsiderate". I apologized and tried to explain, but he wasnt having it.

I go to this ride almost every week and these guys are always there, so I kinda dread seeing them after this.
If I break down everything you wrote without the extra crap.
You were on a group ride with these guys (which you are on a regular basis), you pushed the group harder this time (for you own benefit), you got a flat and were bailed out by the guys they you dropped by pushing it. You started riding back with them and had to push things again (same reason they were dropped the first time - not to mention you almost stopped for them), they caught up with you latter (not long enough that you weren't packed up and gone).
You probably should get another group, or ride alone. :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
One of them pulled for about 5 mins at around 18mph and then I got on the front and tried to pick it up a little to at least 20mph. When I looked back they were about 75 yards back.
So forget everything leading up to this. You sat on to these guys for five minutes and then when it was your turn to pay them back, you rode away? Punk move. Didn't anyone ever teach you not to ride away from a group you've sat in with before you take your turn at the front?

Any way you look at it, if you could sit on for five minutes at 18, you could have pulled for at least a few minutes at their pace. Let's face it; you used their CO2, you used their draft, and when they had nothing more you could use, you went on your way without even a word of explanation.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They prob figured you were "attacking", as in giving some big effort to prove a point and make yourself look badass. In reality it sounds like you were actually riding a fast tempo pace... but now they're butt hurt because in their minds you turned it into a race in order to "beat them", even after they helped you. I do sympathize with their reaction though... because they waited for you and you rode with (drafted) them for a while afterwards, IMO as soon as you saw you were dropping them you should have slowed down to explain what was going on and thank them again. They may have also thought you were rubbing it in as you looked behind at them while pulling away.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.