Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing out a general question on racing etiquette. If one is to enter a race and it is part of an ongoing series (say 6 or 7 races) and one enters the last 2 races of the series...Is it ok or not ok to go for the win (if able or possible) despite the fact that the leaders of the race may not appreciate this? What is the consensus?

·
Registered
357 Posts
What's the point of entering a race and not going for the win? The series leaders should be able to keep up anyway. Beyond that, if you aren't in contention your 1st place finish will just shift the points down of the people who are, and not affect the series standings.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
etiquette?........etiquette?...... Not much of that, in bike racing.
The only etiquette that there is, is not to put someone down.............on purpose.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Are you asking this question because you were on one side of this thing or the other or something?

I don't even understand. It's a RACE. You paid to do it. What are you supposed to do, let the guys win who have done more of them?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude, Calm down...

I am asking because I was thinking of doing a race that was part of an ongoing series...(it fits within my schedule) In the past I have overheard conversations of riders voicing their displeasure of having another rider doing only one race, take points during an ongoing series. I was just inquiring....now take take a deep breath....

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
etiquette?........etiquette?...... Not much of that, in bike racing.
The only etiquette that there is, is not to put someone down.............on purpose.
I was SERIOUSLY tempted to crash some yahoo at one of the SoCal races I did... MAN but that guy was a serious squirrel! I'd move up to the front and all of a sudden, there he was, cutting lines, getting in people's ways, etc. Fade to the back, and THERE HE WAS!! Grrrrr! #$%#$ (expletives deleted).

I didn't 'cause I figgered he'd do it to himself, and I didn't want that kind of Karma coming my way!

Hope he figgered it out in the years since!

M

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
mootinator said:
I am asking because I was thinking of doing a race that was part of an ongoing series...(it fits within my schedule) In the past I have overheard conversations of riders voicing their displeasure of having another rider doing only one race, take points during an ongoing series. I was just inquiring....now take take a deep breath....
Screw em! They're just carping 'cause they can't/won't/didn't win.

M

·
24,573 Posts
Did you politely inform him of his mother fixation and his obvious deviate sexual acts that he enjoys? If you kindly mention to him that you have an anger management problem, and that sometimes bad things happen to the best riders, you might just get him to ride somewhere else in the pack.

·
24,573 Posts
Screw em'. If they are doing a race series where there there is a long road race on Saturday and a crit on Sunday, sign up for the crit, and hammer the Sh** out of their tired legs. If they are fried enough, you may be able to get away. If you hear anything after the race, just laugh at them for being such babies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
imetis said:
Beyond that, if you aren't in contention your 1st place finish will just shift the points down of the people who are, and not affect the series standings.
That depends on the points structure. If the gaps between placing points are constant (say 6 5 4 3 2 1 ), you're right. If they are not (say 10 6 4 3 2 1), you're wrong.

I agree its a race, if everybody wasn't trying to win it would not be a race. However, unless you really want a win, have you considered talking to the guys in the top series places? If you are that good, they might want to talk to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.