Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ride up behind someone, I'll generally hang back perhaps 20'. I'll never ride up right behind someone's wheel unless I know I can pass right away. If it's someone that looks like they might be interesting to talk to I'll ride besides them for a while and chat and perhaps we decide to ride together.

The exception... If I'm on a group ride and I get dropped along with other people, and I either catch someone else or someone passes me and I can get on their wheel, then I will do so but I'll typically say "on your wheel" unless it's obvious they know I'm there. I figure that if we started on the same group ride then this is OK.

I also had a situation recently where I was cranking on a solo ride in near-anaerobic mode and someone caught me from behind and rode on my wheel for a while without saying anything. I don't get particularly bent out of shape about such things so I took it with a grain of salt, but I did view it as an open invitation from him to ride together, so I pulled off, and not really being able to strike up a conversation rode on his wheel for a while. He never pulled off and ended up turning off on a side road. Don't know if he was bothered by my riding his wheel or not.

Don't really have a question... guess I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my approach to these situations or what experience others may have had.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
You'll get all sorts of opinions on this one. It's been discussed many times before. The answer is - it depends.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
next time you get a wheel sucker, if you wanna talk say something. if you dont, just say "hey" or something.

this weekend i blew by someone. gave a "man, its humid today" and went on my way. i had to get home, otherwise i might have slowed down to chat.

we did a group ride last year and had a hipster try to rabbit into our group. it was annoying. at a stoplight he couldnt get outta his bear traps and pancaked it. that was the last we saw of him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hate when people just ride up to my wheel and draft there without saying anything. Sometimes I can't hear them or see their shadow and I don't realize they're there until I do one of my routine glances backwards to check for cars.

9 times out of 10, if you ask if you can suck wheel for a bit or if you want to share the work, I won't have a problem with it. But if you just ride up unannounced and stick to my wheel, I'm gonna be a bit peeved about it and I'll either tell you to buzz off of my wheel, or I'll try to ride you off of it. That may make me a douche, but so be it.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
If you want on my wheel, prepare to smell the broccoli and proteins bars I had earlier in a recycled form.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As mentioned, it completely depends. Back when I was living in VA and got to ride the W&OD all the time (bike/walking trail that runs from suburbs all the way to DC), I never thought much of it either way (me sucking or someone sucking on to me). There were just so many people, no danger of cars, etc.

Back in MA now and riding on the road, different story. I don't run into many people when I'm out solo, so its really not come up, but if it did, I don't think I'd much care one way or the other. If they're fast enough to keep up over a distance, I can't imagine having any issue with riding with them, although generally I don't feel like conversing.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
putmeinthezoo said:
Don't really have a question... guess I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my approach to these situations or what experience others may have had.
Not really. Your approach sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same as you I generally try to leave several bike lengths between myself and others in front of me unless I'm in the process of passing them. If we seem to be traveling a similar pace, it's 50/50 whether I'll hang back or speed up and pass. Most of the time I'm all for a chat, but don't want to presume everyone else is so I usually don't try to initiate a conversation. 9 times out of 10 am happy to continue one started by some one else however.

Dependent on how beat I already am, I don't mind wheelsuckers so much, as long as I know they are there.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Does depend. My opinion is if they don't start discussion, make it a friendly race. I had one guy sleeping on his climb. Right when I passed him, I was dying to stay ahead of his fresher legs.

Nothing HAS to happen during an encounter. But what can is someone getting dropped, the pace upping, or a conversation.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I vewy vewy quietly sneak up on them and once I am within reach I grab them and give them a good shake while yelling hello in their ear...they don't seem to appreciate my friendliness...don't know why...

·
Registered
599 Posts
How about the times when you're riding at a consistent speed, get passed, then the person slows down? You try to get around them going the same speed, however, that's when he decides to speed up again. This repeated for a good stretch, eventually I slowed way down, so he could get out of my site.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Kai Winters said:
I vewy vewy quietly sneak up on them and once I am within reach I grab them and give them a good shake while yelling hello in their ear...they don't seem to appreciate my friendliness...don't know why...
THAT WAS YOU!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If people come up from behind and shout 'on your wheel' loud enough for me to hear, I'm fine. I shout "OK on your wheel?" and usually get a verbal or thumbs up OK. If there's a meet up at a red light there seems to generally be a common agreement to ride together until someone pulls off, turns, or is dropped. Since my schedule is sort of erratic I often don't know when I'll ride until maybe an hour prior so I usually do enjoy informal meetups with others rather than always riding solo. If someone's riding concerns me I'll tell them I'm doing a solo training ride and they usually get the message.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
When I'm riding solo, and I overtake someone, I always move my hands to the bartops, and pass quickly, with no chit-chat. The "bartop" thing is to let them know that eventhough I'm passing them, I'm on an "easy" ride. If someone objects to me passing them, and jumps away, I'll let them go, but slowly reel them in, over the next few minutes. If I can tell that they're going all out, I'll press them until they blow, and then pass them with my hands on the bartops.
Same goes for when I'm being overtaken. As soon as I hear a bike closing on me, I'll again move my hands to the bartops, and let them pass. If someone takes my wheel, and I don't know them, I'll slow to 15 mph, so that they get the hint.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
If anyone can hang on my wheel they deserve to be there.

Allow me to explain. Group rides are one thing but if I am solo and we don't first agree to ride together I will try to rip their legs off. Hands on bar tops of course ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If one is riding solo, either recreationally or training, and comes up to another rider.....why in the world do you want to ride someone's wheel? What solo rider is happy that another rider snuck up on him, or even announced it, and is on his wheel? :confused:

Obviously, from the original post question, you don't know the rider and, to me, it just looks gay...errr, retarded. Two, what kind of recreational rider needs to draft someone? Three, why train if you gotta draft someone...what does that do for your training unless you are a racer? :confused: What about the danger of riding the wheel of someone whose ability or style you have no clue about?

I'm just a novice, so not meant to be inflammatory.....just asking :)

For me, I only go up to the person if I KNOW I can pass him. If not, I only mimic his speed until his route takes him somewhere else that I'm not going. I'm with Mr.Grumpy on the bartop thing...I'm not racing anyone, just passing along.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
On my rides I go in spurts. I have several long flat stretches where I drop my head and hammer, then a transition area where I will rest. sometimes on the next flat stage I am still a little tired and I come across a rider doing a similar speed. I will grab the wheel if i can to rest a bit. If I'm on for more than 20 or 30 seconds I will announce myself. Half way through being pulled I always jump up and offer to return the favor by pulling. By this time I pretty much know their speed too. Haven't had a problem yet but I do run across a few people who draft a bit then blow by me. I can't catch them because they are stronger. I swear at them under my breath as they ride off into the distance. As long as I can see them, I'm swearing at them....
Erion929 said:
If one is riding solo, either recreationally or training, and comes up to another rider.....why in the world do you want to ride someone's wheel? What solo rider is happy that another rider snuck up on him, or even announced it, and is on his wheel? :confused:

Obviously, from the original post question, you don't know the rider and, to me, it just looks gay...errr, retarded. Two, what kind of recreational rider needs to draft someone? Three, why train if you gotta draft someone...what does that do for your training unless you are a racer? :confused:

I'm just a novice, so not meant to be inflammatory.....just asking :)

For me, I only go up to the person if I KNOW I can pass him. If not, I only mimic his speed until his route takes him somewhere else that I'm not going. I'm with Mr.Grumpy on the bartop thing...I'm not racing anyone, just passing along.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
But if you want to rest, why not just slow down for 30 seconds and then pick it back up? Why bug someone else, in the case they don't like it?

Wouldn't a better method be to ride ALONGSIDE and ask if the other rider wants to work together for awhile?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts