Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m creating a comic on the 1910 edition of the Milan San-Remo which was won by Eugene Christophe. I’ve done a decent amount of research but am still looking for some additional visual information. For example I’ve read that Christophe sported an outrageous handle bar moustache but I have only been able to find pictures of him clean shaven. Does anyone have suggestions of good historical cycling books to search out.

Thanks

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
from www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net (*the* cycling history resource on the net)

Eugène CHRISTOPHE
(22 janvier 1885 - 1 février 1970)

Depuis longtemps, les journalistes ont suggéré à Henri DESGRANGE de faire porter par le leader du Tour de France un maillot distinctif. Finalement, Henri DESGRANGE accepte. Il choisit tout naturellement le jaune, comme la couleur du papier sur lequel est imprimé "L'Auto". Et ce jour-là, à Grenoble, Eugène CHRISTOPHE enfile cette "Toison d'Or". Plus tard, le Belge Philippe THYS, triple vainqueur du Tour de France, racontera qu'en 1913 Henri DESGRANGE lui avait déjà proposé de revêtir un maillot jaune. Mais, faute de preuves et de témoins, cette anecdote restera une légende

Also, for a great BD (comic) on cycling around the time of Christophe, check out "L'Aigle sans Orteils" by Lax and published by Dupuis (you can prbably order it from amazon.fr). Here is the website: http://www.dupuis.com/servlet/jpecat?pgm=VIEW_ALBUM&lang=FR&OUVRAGE_ID=3813

and below are some extracts...

Finally, if you can read french, there are a ton of good cycling history books that you can search for on amazon.com or fnac.com by searching under cyclisme.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip about the BD. The only BD about cycling I have read is the officical TDF one which is unbelievably horrible. L'Aigle sans Orteils looks really beautiful, I’ll have to get a copy. The picture of christophe is great as well. I’ve found some good information about the riders who were in the 1910 MSR on the Torelli site. It provided me with some clues about which brand of frame Christophe was riding in 1910. Apparently he was riding a Alcyon in the 1911 TDF so I’m thinking it might be safe to assume he was riding one in 1910 – this surprised me since he was riding a Peugeot 1913 when the famous broken fork incident happened. Anyways, thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts