Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many opinions about bike sizing - that riders are sized to smaller frames in europe compared to larger frames in the USA. Also, that racers prefer smaller frames for agility/weight - this seems true to a certain extent - saddles quite high and stems long. What is the truth or relative truth?

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
relatively speaking...

it all depends on who you heard this from, and the validity of their observation. I've not encountered anything different in Europe in regards to frame sizing.

it could be said that a 6'6" rider may prefer a smaller frame, show a lot of seatpost and have a 140mm stem (Edwig vanHooydonck). Smaller frame, shorter tubes, more stiff. Hence the 'compact' design....

However, I doubt that a 5'3" rider could ride a smaller frame and be comfortable.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
it all depends on who you heard this from, and the validity of their observation. I've not encountered anything different in Europe in regards to frame sizing.

it could be said that a 6'6" rider may prefer a smaller frame, show a lot of seatpost and have a 140mm stem (Edwig vanHooydonck). Smaller frame, shorter tubes, more stiff. Hence the 'compact' design....

However, I doubt that a 5'3" rider could ride a smaller frame and be comfortable.
The only thing that is true is that it's all relative :).

There is no "Euro" vs. "Americano" sizing difference that I know of. But there is a difference between what some may say "older-fashioned" and "newer-fashioned" sizing. The older-fashioned tend to like longer top tubes but little vertical drop between the saddle and the handlebar. The newer-fashioned tend to like shorter top tube, longer stem, and more vertical drop.

Both sides have their own arguments, but when riding in the drops, both philosophies tend to give similar body positions.

There is also a lot of "truthiness" in the business of frame design and fitting, such as that more upright position always means more comfort, and that laid-back geometry is more comfortable.

So listen to what Rollo said about "it all depends on who you heard this from, and the validity of their observation." That's about the only thing that is true in general, is that everything depends :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts