Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are going to do a European trip and want bikes with us. I was trying to pick between the dahon matrix or the Montague models (they all are the same frame and I figured that the components would work at whichever lever I bought) if any one has experience with these models than I would like advice. I am not going to do tones of hard riding but i want something strong. for the sake of info I am 6'3" and weigh about 220. with gear I figure I will need to get a better rear rim (might go for one of those big 42s or 48 I cant remember the count off hand) . My brother is smaller and shouldn't have this problem. any equipment recommendations and tool ideas would be welcome also.

thanks all.

-1-

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
I don't have experience with those bikes, but just thinking...

If you already have a normal bike you use day-to-day, it might not be ideal to get another bike that won't see much use beyond this trip. You'll be paying a premium for a heavier, less well equipped bike (that likely has other compromises as well.) You'll then pay for shipping it, and as tight as the airlines are these days that could get expensive.

Suggestion: Consider finding a bike shop over there as part of your vacation research, call them up and let them know what you'll want. Buy it, ride it, and sell it before coming home. Yeah, it'll be spendy, but easily less than buying the folder you'll likely not use again - and you'll have better equipment to ride while in Europe. Or consider long-term rentals there - a little harder to find from this end, but the best deal by far if you can work it out.

Some of our European members can likely recommend a shop that would be happy to help.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Rent. If something breaks you'll have support.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not found a decent rental rate which would suit the travel plans. I would actually have use for the folder out here as my brother needs a fullsize bike that he can throw into his car and I think that I will be needing the transportability as well. that is the only reason I dont just buy any bike out there. I would like something a little more rugged than I am using in the present. oh and I have read that the folders in question can go as regular luggage and not baggage (important to the airlines I guess). I will look into these suggestions and I thank you.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Check the folded dimensions of the Dahon models you are looking at.... They might be outside the allowable dimension for non-oversize luggage...I had 20" wheeled Dahon and it's folded dimensions were over the limit. I believe the ones you are looking at are full size wheeled bikes.....in other words, if you are going to pay an oversize fee anyway, you might want to just take regular bikes..

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
How many days is this trip? Bike rentals can range from €20 -35 /day with discounts for full weeks, etc.

-ONE- said:
I have not found a decent rental rate which would suit the travel plans. I would actually have use for the folder out here as my brother needs a fullsize bike that he can throw into his car and I think that I will be needing the transportability as well. that is the only reason I dont just buy any bike out there. I would like something a little more rugged than I am using in the present. oh and I have read that the folders in question can go as regular luggage and not baggage (important to the airlines I guess). I will look into these suggestions and I thank you.

·
Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
The size limit for checked baggage (without incurring hefty oversize surcharges) for most airlines is 62 inches total outside dimensions (length + width + height).

There are very few folders (and none of the 26" wheel folders that I'm aware of) that can be packed in such a small suitcase without some major disassembly.

I travel frequently with a Brompton M6L which is easily folded into an airline-legal hard case without incurring surcharges. While it doesn't have the panache of a full size frame, it's a very capable touring bike. The small wheels don't like cobblestone streets, though.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Unless you get a clown bike like the one above (no offense, it's pretty neat, I was just referring to its ability to fit into a small space) you'll be paying $150-$200 a bike just to bring them with you. Airlines have REALLY cracked down on checked baggage with the crazy high jet fuel prices so it's doubtful they'll let you slide. For that type of money you should be able to get a week rental at least.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
One more possibility to consider is that the bike doesn't necessarily have to travel with you. Call ahead to your first hotel, and they'll be happy to accept a Fedex shipment for you. Combined with a Crateworks bike box, shipping a 'real' bike might be the best alternative in today's world. If you can spare it for a few days before you leave (and tapering for the trip, it's not that big a deal fitness-wise) it can work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I brought my full size bike to Europe to follow the tour last year and would not have done it any other way. It was worth the extra 100.00 it cost for me to get my bike over there. The bike fit, I was used to it and it really extended to scope of my travels. Instead of having to walk everywhere, I had my bike to just cruise along. Bring a good lock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.