Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving a support/wheel vehicle in a race yesterday and realized how cool it would have been to have a horn like the support vehicles you hear in the Tour or other European races. Anyone know where I could get on to hook up in my car?

Just thinking that even if I were passing a fellow cyclist on the road while driving, it would be so much nicer to give them the European honk vs. trying to do a double quick honk that's the closest you can do with the domestic setup.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
What makes use his "European honk" you speak of? I live in Eruope, and we don't have them around here--- certainly not on German cars.

nickmehl said:
I was driving a support/wheel vehicle in a race yesterday and realized how cool it would have been to have a horn like the support vehicles you hear in the Tour or other European races. Anyone know where I could get on to hook up in my car?

Just thinking that even if I were passing a fellow cyclist on the road while driving, it would be so much nicer to give them the European honk vs. trying to do a double quick honk that's the closest you can do with the domestic setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess there may be nothing truly "European" about them but the only time I've heard them is watching European racing. Most likely not stock either.

Next time you're watching footage of the vehicle caravan behind the peloton, it's the friendly honk kinda sorta like the two-tone horns you'd find on a banana seat cruiser with a big chrome bugle and a black air bulb. Just bigger and mounted in a car.

And I do agree that when I'm out on the open road, even a friendly honk will scare the bejeezus out of me... Just wouldn't mind the option.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I am familiar with the sound. They have similar horns in India, BTW.

nickmehl said:
I guess there may be nothing truly "European" about them but the only time I've heard them is watching European racing. Most likely not stock either.

Next time you're watching footage of the vehicle caravan behind the peloton, it's the friendly honk kinda sorta like the two-tone horns you'd find on a banana seat cruiser with a big chrome bugle and a black air bulb. Just bigger and mounted in a car.

And I do agree that when I'm out on the open road, even a friendly honk will scare the bejeezus out of me... Just wouldn't mind the option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.