Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Awesome pictures. Thanks to you and your pops.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
dood, maybe it's post NNC calm, the weather, or some other such thing, but i literally got chills looking through your report. what an awesome record to have....thanks for sharing, truly helped make my morning....er afternoon i guess

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
chuckice said:
....Edit: MY GOD!! THEY'RE RIDING WITHOUT HELMETS!!! ;)

LOL

Or cycling shorts, or gloves, or camelbacks, or cycling shoes, or STI, or indexing...........

And having the time of their lives.

Makes you think doesn't it?

·
go up
648 Posts
Awsome Post, undies!

I love stuff like this! So many little things you can catch in old photos, if you look close enough.

A few years ago I managed to get my hands on most of my Grandfathers 35mm slides. I ended up buying a scanner and getting them all to digital format; almost 1300 slides. Some are from the same time period as these pics of yours. The one of the airplane. . . I think the same plane is in a couple I have taken in Hawaii back in who-knows-when..

Thanks for posting!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
An absolutely fantastic thread undies. Filled with emotion, memories, feeling. Really sorry to hear about Nancy, she must have had positive effect on your dad. Again, terrific post.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
That's a really great post. My wife and I are about to have our first child, and it's good to know that maybe she'll be able to look back some day and see some of the cool things mom and dad did before they became boring old mom and dad.

Thanks- I don't know why, but some of those pictures brought a tear to my eye.

-B-

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
Your wonderful post brought a flood of emotions washing over me. Nancy´s beauty, youthful adventure, time rolling on. It reminds me to embrace every minute of life. It´s my favorite RBR post of all time.
Yes, this is exactly how I felt reviewing Undies post. Thanks for the right words of expression.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
The shot of the airplane and the Berlin Wall is like stepping into a time warp Hard to imagine there was a time not that long ago when people would get shot for trying to make it to this side of the wall.

Great pics. Thanks for posting them.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
MB1 said:
LOL

Or cycling shorts, or gloves, or camelbacks, or cycling shoes, or STI, or indexing...........
And having the time of their lives.
Makes you think doesn't it?
How true. Often beginners will ask me what kind of bike they "need." I often preface my remarks by saying, "you know, you could go down to Value Village or a garage sale and buy a perfectly good bike for $25 that you could easily ride across the country." Nobody believes me when I say this.

As Fritz said many times, "you don't NEED it."

Everything else is just nice to have if you like it.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
What a wonderful post. Thank you for posting it and thanks to your Dad for scanning the photos. It's really a time trip to see the hair and the clothes and the bikes and the wall.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Such a great post

I posted a reply earlier, but looking through the threads again got me to finally pull out the DVD my brother made of my Dad's slides from as far back as the forties. My Dad (who I sparred with for my entire life) died in the late nineties, and my mum, who I was really close to, just a couple of months ago.

Because of your post, I spent hours looking through pictures of their wedding, of my brothers and sister growing up, of family vacations through the [then] wilderness of the BC interior. I haven't stopped crying, both in joy and sadness, for hours. I just wanted to thank you for posting all those photos of a different age; they allowed me to look back on my parents' [and my siblings'] lives (and my own, I suppose) in a way I don't think I have been able to since my mum died.

So again, thank you. I am sure you didn't intend it, but your post has permitted me to face the death of my mum in a way that I have been unable to for too many months.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
These photos are great I love the reactions they have gotten from all. Beautiful post. Cycling is a constant for me in life. The act of riding never changes as evidenced in these photos. There is a common joy among all of us regardless of eqipment or time. This is what cycling is all about. The ability to push ourselves through the air and see life from a different point of view. Its as if we can free ourselves and fly under our own might. Today at 35 years old when I went out to ride it felt exactly the same as the first day I ever pedaled fast enough to stay aloft on two wheels. That was 31 years ago, and today I am the same person. I hope to live to be 100 and remember what it felt like to be 4.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.