Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Dwaynebarry said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=5215959

Again, these guys didn't view doping as cheating. Landis claims to have given Levi a transfusion at the 2005 TdF, no different than if they had been out doing intervals together for training :)
Whoah............

Fascinating.

It doesn't surprise me that he doesn't consider it cheating - on some level, I can understand that line of thought. What really interests me is the fact that he basically admitted that he would do it again to race in Europe. That, and the fact that he still contends the test was wrong, but because he didn't actually use testosterone.

I honestly feel bad for the guy.........and I think things are only going to get more difficult for him.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Fascinating indeed. I don't get what's going on in his head. That's not criticism, just saying I don't get it.

He doesn't regret doping, doesn't feel the slightest bit guilty, but needs to clear his conscience.

He threatens people, but then 'is trying to negotiate amnesty for them.' He 'asks for leniency' for them, but 'Big Tex is going to prison.'

I feel bad for the guy. Completely aside from whatever the truth really is, his head is screwed on oddly.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
The guilty conscience for the lying not for the doping.
OK, I can see that. Although, isn't he also insisting that he didn't do the particular bit of doping that he was (primarily) lying about?

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,071 Posts
danl1 said:
Fascinating indeed. I don't get what's going on in his head. That's not criticism, just saying I don't get it....
I'm with you. Floyd is frying my brain.

All he needed to say was, "I was involved in systematic, organized doping with several teams during my professional career." Then sit back and let the investigators figure things out. But that's what any sane and rational individual would do.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What I find most amusing is Floyd has been hoping some ProTour team would take a chance on him. And he called the ones he thought might hire him.

Only when it became obvious that his European racing career was over did he decide to "clear his conscience."

Get ****ed, Floyd.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was waitng for more on this

I was interested in hearing what Kristin Armstrong had to say about Landis' contention she was in the room when some of this occurred between him and Lance. I am a cancer survivor, strong LiveSTRONG supporter and a Lance fan. Until now, he is still the most tested athlete in any sport. Certainly they were all over him during the run for the TdF 7 times as well as last year. Nothing. But if she had backed Landis, that would have been huge in my book. But SI apparently is reporting she won't be helping Landis.

* Landis says the first time he was given stamina-building EPO it was in full view of Armstrong's ex-wife, Kristin. SI says Kristin Armstrong said in an e-mail that she doesn't remember such an incident and that she hasn't been contacted by federal officials.

Landis has serious behavioral problems. He destroyed his career and now he is destroying others. If he wanted to simply come clean, why not two years ago, last year, even last month. Why during the TOC? We know why. He was looking to do the biggest damage to others he thinks abandoned him. He is acting like someone with a serious drinking problem. Vindictive. Resentful, Hurtful. Contradictory. I hope he gets the help he needs.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
walleyeangler said:
Until now, he is still the most tested athlete in any sport. Certainly they were all over him during the run for the TdF 7 times as well as last year.
No they were not. The testing environment didn't become rigorous until after he retired, when Anne Gripper became head of the UCI anti-doping efforts and some national bodies other than the French became serious about testing.

IIRC, there weren't even out of competition testing during the early years of his run, there was no test for EPO until ~2002, and there was and still is no test for autologous blood doping (this is what the biopassport is suppose to detect, which just went into place the last couple of years).

Getting away with doping was easy during his 7-year run because the testing was highly predictable and not all that frequent, and couldn't detect some of it regardless.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I second that!!

And I am a Livestrong fan, not really a Lance fan although I do GREATLY appreciate what he has done for cancer research and those with cancer..

That said, I have more respect for those that are honest no matter what the issue than those that continue to lie. If Armstrong is guilty, I have to say, I'd probably be a Lance fan because he would be honest..

My mother always said "honesty is the best policy".. Just ask Floyd, I bet he does wish he'd come clean in Nov. of 06 instead of May of 10.. Just think of how many sleepless nights he had.. Wow, that makes me tired just thinking of it.. :D

·
Administrator
13,149 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
The guilty conscience for the lying not for the doping.
I don't think he's ever felt guilty about anything. He seems to regret getting caught and destroying his career- but even in that he blames everyone but himself.

·
Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
I worry for Floyd

Seriously, his behaviour is erratic enough to make me think that he's become desperate and delusional OR he's on some drugs. Not joking. I seriously worry that this will end with a suicide attempt or success. I hope that he has people in his life to do nothing more than wrap their arms around him in his dark times.

bt

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
desmo13 said:
+1

and +1 on floyd twisting my mind. Is he a spurned lover, or a tragic hero.
I'm also trying to figure that out. I can understand why he would want to take down Lance, but what I don't understand is how he could include Zabriskie. Those guys have been best buds for a long time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
eyebob said:
Seriously, his behaviour is erratic enough to make me think that he's become desperate and delusional OR he's on some drugs. Not joking. I seriously worry that this will end with a suicide attempt or success. I hope that he has people in his life to do nothing more than wrap their arms around him in his dark times.

bt
get a grip man. you sound like an 80's era housewife that thinks her son's on "the marijuana". Floyd's fine, he's behaving the complete opposite of Pantani and is probably sleeping better than he has in years. If Zabriskie confirms his version of history are you going to suggest he's "delusional" as well?

·
Registered
474 Posts
blackhat said:
get a grip man. you sound like an 80's era housewife that thinks her son's on "the marijuana". Floyd's fine, he's behaving the complete opposite of Pantani and is probably sleeping better than he has in years. If Zabriskie confirms his version of history are you going to suggest he's "delusional" as well?

hahaha, that's awesome.

Hunter Thompson used to say, "If you see me coming out for Jesus, you'll know they really have something on me."

Along those lines, if Kristen A comes out against Lance, I'll know they really have something on him. Until then, it's just more of the same.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
In most cases, Kristen is protected by spousal privilege, and cannot be compelled to testify against Lance. She has to be willing to do it, and so far, she has refused. So don't count on ever getting anything out of her.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.