Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats out there that is wider than 25, more like 27/28. With and without brake tracks. I've seen some 28 disc only rims on the Speshy Diverge, not sure whos they were. Maybe Alex? I'm looking for a source without going to mtb rim. Hopefully in 24/28 drillings.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Do you mean >25 internal or external? If internal, a 29er mountain bike rim is your only bet. And forget about finding anything like that with a brake track.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Whats out there that is wider than 25, more like 27/28. With and without brake tracks. I've seen some 28 disc only rims on the Speshy Diverge, not sure whos they were. Mayube Alex? I'm looking for a source without going to mtb rim. Hopefully in 24/28 drillings.
A 29er MTB is the only rim that comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Wanting Aluminum. Something over 25 external.
Ryde comes to mind. Their trekking/travel rims are specked around what you are looking after (not low spoke count though; 32 is the least) and were popular in Europe before the gravel craze hit. Check out the ZAC 21 and there are a few others within their line-up

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryde comes to mind. Their trekking/travel rims are specked around what you are looking after (not low spoke count though; 32 is the least) and were popular in Europe before the gravel craze hit. Check out the ZAC 21 and there are a few others within their line-up
Holy Cow thats a 635 gram rim. I was hoping for something around 480 ish.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Nope, a lot more surface than a dependable 622x17c rim like the HED C2 or Archetype that weighs around the 480 gr. mark. If somebody makes one as wide as 27/28ish and with rim brake tracks around that weight I would suggest against using it.

If you need to stay around that weight and as wide the only choices I'm aware of are disc MTB rims.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
LOL! You want everything! Over 25mm external width and under 500g? HED Belgium Plus is probably the closest you are going to get That one IS 25mm external and 465g. Wider means more substance and therefore more weight unless you start to compromise durability.

·
Registered
734 Posts
LOL! You want everything! Over 25mm external width and under 500g? HED Belgium Plus is probably the closest you are going to get That one IS 25mm external and 465g. Wider means more substance and therefore more weight unless you start to compromise durability.
Winner winner chicken dinner. You can't get something for nothing. Wider means more material overall (just based on surface area) plus greater wall thicknesses in certain areas to support greater spans. Materials science and hope don't get along all that well.

At the widths the OP is looking for, you are at about the max range for rim brakes, simply because rim brakes and the bikes they generally go on don't broadly fit rims of that width, and even more so they don't fit the tires you'd be looking to use them with. Disc road and gravel bikes, for all the sound and fury around them, are still a small niche and don't have anything close to the installed user base that's going to support any kind of broad array of aftermarket rim products. There are lots of 29er rims that are appropriate candidates, but few if any of them will come in a 24/28 option.

Also external width is at best a follow on in this discussion. Internal width dictates how the tire is going to inflate on a rim.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I figured I was ahead of the curve right now. I have been happy with the Pacenti SL25 in disc. THey are around 450ish. I just wanted to see if there was something a bit wider for my gravel disc bike.

I completely grasp the internal external thing. THe problem is most manufactures only list External, so it is just easier to compare.

I figured if they can make a 25 wide rim brake at 450ish gram, then a 27/28 wide at 480ish would not be out of the question. Heck, Stans Arch MK is 29 wide and clocks in around 460

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am going to vote with November Dave. Most folks who want a wide rim with a brake track want them for a touring or bike packing bike. They will be looking for strength, so your 24 hole and sub 500 gram wheel probably does not exist.

Velo-Orange has a couple that are close.

VO Escapade Rim is intended for loaded touring and bike packing. They are a triple box section with machined sidewalls with stainless steel eyelets. The external width is 28mm; weight is 655g. It is available in 32 and 36 hole only. I might add that they appear to be priced as a closeout on their web site at $30 each.

Their Diagonale is 25mm and weighs in at 570g. It is available in 36 hole only.

Also, DT Swiss has the 535, which is 25.2mm and weighs in at 540g. Being a super Clyde myself, my road wheels are DT Swiss TK540 that are 545g and 23.6mm.

One last thought on this is that you might look to the tandem world. Some tandem riders know that disc brakes are not good for long descents on a laden tandem, so there are may be some solutions out there. But most of those people know that the absolute minimum spoke count is 36, and 40 or 48 are much better.

House of Tandems in Spring Texas sells a wheel set that uses Spinergy spokes on a tandem specific hub. They are available in several widths. Mine are 24mm internal. I know that they can build up a 135 mm hub, because I have that setup on my Ritchey tandem. I can't speak to their durability yet since we only have about 150 miles on them, but they are very nice wheels. I will warn you that you can expect to part with a bunch of Ben Franklins to get that wheel set.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
The Stan's Arch EX is light because it's a disc brake rim and doesn't need extra material for a rim brake track and there's no reason you can't use it if you are using disc brakes.

Also, the SL25 has a 20mm inner width which is only 1mm narrower than the heavy ride rim that was suggested.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I just wanted to see if there was something a bit wider for my gravel disc bike.
This may be a silly question, but if your bike has discs, why do you need rims with a brake track?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
If you are willing to go with disc 29ers, there are two options from DT Swiss - the M442 and XM421. They weigh 495g and 465g respectively. Though they are only available in 28 and 32 hold drillings for what I would consider obvious reasons.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This may be a silly question, but if your bike has discs, why do you need rims with a brake track?
My friend want some 28's for his rim brake Solice, I want some for my Niner RLT. The XM421 looks like a nice option. I always forget to look at DT rims.

It all started as a simple question

·
Registered
475 Posts
WTB has some wider alloy rims, like the i25 and which is 25mm internal, also some slightly wider and narrower versions, I think i30 and i23 i19 as well. I think they are decent weights but not sure what drillings they come in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up building up some Pacenti Tl 28 that had laying around. I mounted up my Conti 4000s in 28c on them. THe tire measured 32.8 on the Pacenti TL Rim. I only gained about 1 mm over the Pacenti Sl 25 rim but Holy Cow does it look bigger. It gained so much volume and still loooks nice and round. I'm betting I'll be running 58 psi in this set up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts