Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Got one trapped between my glasses and my eye. At least I think it was a bee. I was squealing like a little baby running around yelling get it off, get it off.

· Overweight, aging athlete
63 Posts
In The Knee...

Strangely enough I am not complaining about being stung on the knee on 2 seperate occassions. As I get older, my knees feel the effects of previous abuses. Twice, after being stung in the knee on fast, downhills, the venom seem to alleviate the (minor) knee pain.

I think I should apply for government grant money to study the effects of bee venom on arthritic joints. The study would need to include new bicycles for myself and my lab assistants...also travel to remote bee locations...

· Banned
978 Posts
Yes. .

bigbri said:
A little bastard just nailed me in the stomach while I was in full flight. Damn that hurt.
On a very hot day I had my assos jersey zipped 3/4 down. I was on the drops going into a headwind and a damn bumble bee shot right down my jersey, got stuck in the back and stung me!:mad: It felt like a cigarette butt was put out on my back.

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
I was just pulling up to my destination after a 50+ mile ride, jersey unzipped (wicked hot day) when a hornet flew into my jersey.

Got stung 8 times before I was able to get the little bastard out.

I thought I was going to pass out, but my destination was a brew pub, and I was quickly revived.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Not a bee, but a wasp. Got in through the back of my jersey and stung the heck out of me before I could pull over and shake him out.

I've had bees fly into my mouth. and by reflex I immediately spit them out.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I got stung on the upper lip on while doing around 35 mph on the morning of July 4th. I used cold beer for the remainder of the day to help with the pain and swelling. Pretty sure it worked.

· Registered
380 Posts
I got nailed on the sternum once when I was hammering along at 20+ mph. I thought at first that I'd been shot. Luckily I was on my way home at the time and was only a couple of miles away.

And Geezer, there have been some studies on bee venom helping joint pain, so I think you've got a good chance of getting your study funded. If you need a lab assistant, I could use a new bike to test your theories. I also hear that France has a lot of bees out at this time of year, especially around the TdF route...

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Yellow jacket wasp lodged in my crotch - right where the thigh meets the nose of the saddle, right where there's no chamois, and right near the guys. I was a spectacle for oncoming drivers as I swatted and flogged my crotch area with one hand while trying to slow down with the other on the brake. I was worried because I thought the sting would render me helpless to sit on the saddle and pedal, but I guess the wasp only got a little bit of venom in because it stung for a little while but mostly just itched bad for a couple of days. Ususally yellow jacket stings burn me like a cigarette being crushed out in my skin and after a couple of days of pain, itch like a SOB for a week or more.

· Registered
441 Posts
ericm979 said:
Wait till you suck one in and get stung on the back of the tongue. Drink all your water 'cause soon you won't be able to swallow.
It was 95 degrees on Sunday. While doing an interval with my jersey unzipped, one managed to fly down the back of my jersey and sting me on the shoulder blade. It was not pleasant.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Around 30 years ago I was riding my motorcycle on an urban freeway. The road has no shoulders & no place to stop for maybe 2-3 miles. A bee flew into my helmet face shield, went up my nose, and stung me. my eyes teared up so badly I could barely see. I couldn't stop right there, so I managed to ride a mile or 2 so I could pull to the shoulder and stop. I took my helmet off and just sat for awhile. My eyes nearly swelled shut, and I looked like I'd just gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I guess it happens to a lot of us. Yeah, I got it on the thigh. I pulled the stinger out and kept on riding.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.