Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
everythingeverywhere said:
the braking surfaces on my rims are very smooth but i'm too cheap to buy new wheels. i've been thinking about roughing them up somehow and then today i saw the photo at cycling news. ever done anything like this? does it actually make a difference? how'd you do it?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/200...h/features/tour_stage_17/Barloworld_Mavic_rim

I'd wager a good knife would do the trick-aluminum ain't that hard....I wouldn't wisk a nice knife on it though.

I myself would never do it---but then again I don't have issues when breaking in the wet either.

· Registered
142 Posts
I've sanded some non-machined rims with 40 grit sandpaper in the past. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference in braking performance. I'd check into replacing your brake pads. Lots of people say the Kool Stop salmon pads are tops. I've yet to try them personally.

FYI - Trials riders often grind their braking surfaces with an angle grinder to provide maxium power. Though, their brakes have to be able to lock on command during trials moves and hydraulic rim brakes are often used in this discipline. This practice is definately not for road riding, lol.

· Registered
329 Posts
croscoe said:
FYI - Trials riders often grind their braking surfaces with an angle grinder to provide maxium power. Though, their brakes have to be able to lock on command during trials moves and hydraulic rim brakes are often used in this discipline. This practice is definately not for road riding, lol.
You are correct, grinding is not for rolling applications. Trials requires complete lock-up...something that is NEVER a good thing on the road.

I saw that image on cycling news the other day and immediately thought to myself, "I wonder if this was done for the sole purpose to get an image on Cycling News?" If so...It worked, and resulted in a thread on this forum!

While I do not frequently descend mountains in the rain, I can not help but think that this is a poor solution to a bigger problem. If your rims are slick with rain, the road surface is probably also slick and increased (potentially unpredictable) wheel stopping power might not be the best idea?

· Registered
797 Posts
use some light steel wool or emory cloth in a circular patern.
I think the bulk of your problem may be build up.

· Registered
171 Posts
croscoe said:
I've sanded some non-machined rims with 40 grit sandpaper in the past. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference in braking performance. I'd check into replacing your brake pads. Lots of people say the Kool Stop salmon pads are tops. I've yet to try them personally.
I've sanded my Kool Stop salmon pads! They seem to get glazed after some time of use so a little sanding makes them act like brand new. Even being sanded maybe twice a year they've last longer than I ever thought possible - years!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.