Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my last "A" race of the season. Never really took a structured approach until this year and picked a sprint tri for my last "A" race. I've had a coach for the past couple months, did a solid 8 week base in the beginning of the season, and really focused on training. I worked really hard, didn't miss workouts, and was feeling fit, or so I thought. I did this tri last year using my completely unfocused and unstructured training plan so I had high hopes of seeing progress. Today I actually did worse in every event except I was a couple seconds faster per mile in my run. Needless to say I'm really bummed out. Just thought you all might give me some perspective. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Possibilities

fin said:
Just did my last "A" race of the season. Never really took a structured approach until this year and picked a sprint tri for my last "A" race. I've had a coach for the past couple months, did a solid 8 week base in the beginning of the season, and really focused on training. I worked really hard, didn't miss workouts, and was feeling fit, or so I thought. I did this tri last year using my completely unfocused and unstructured training plan so I had high hopes of seeing progress. Today I actually did worse in every event except I was a couple seconds faster per mile in my run. Needless to say I'm really bummed out. Just thought you all might give me some perspective. Thanks.
The two things that come quickly to mind is 1) you had a bad day, 2) you're sick or 3) you're over-trained. You're the only one who can put the day's event into perspective, but if you were going strong a few days before the event, did a taper, and then performed under par, then it seems like the classic bad day, perhaps triggered by your coming down with something that hasn't become full-blown yet. If you were feeling crappy and doing poorly a few days before the event, then over-training or illness seem like the probably culprits.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
fin said:
JToday I actually did worse in every event except I was a couple seconds faster per mile in my run.
How are you measuring performance? Time compared to last year? Were conditions the same? A slight change in wind, current or temperature, could cause a big difference in time. Position relative to the field? How strong was the competition this year compared to last? How was your performance relative to what you could do in training for similar RPE?

And of course, have you talked to your coach?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. My guess is that I was overtrained. The previous Sunday I did a run and bike biathlon and was at supra-threshold for almost two hours total. Then on Tuesday I did 5 four minute supra-threshold intervals up a mtn pass at over 10,000 feet. The day before the race I did 3 one minute run intervals and those felt much harder than they've felt before. I never really had that anxious, abundant energy feeling that I've heard other people talk about with their tapers. Mainly I just felt worn out. I've been trying to balance work and family with a big increase in training time and intensity and I feel exhausted.
I was measuring time and pace as compared to last year. I felt that my RPE was less on the swim, same on the bike, and higher on the run.
I had felt much stronger in training. I did an LT test early in the season and was at 170bpm and around 220 watts. I was hoping I could increase that after months of training. Do you guys do an LT test at the end of your season as well?
I can't tell if the field was stronger, they all seem pretty fast, I fell two spots in my AG (6th to 8th but I guess that could be anything.)
Again I appreciate you guys posting and giving me feedback. Do any of you know a good book or site for structuring a winter training plan? I think I'll do some cross races and then I think I need a break from the bike.

·
Registered
409 Posts
fin said:
Thanks for the posts guys. My guess is that I was overtrained. The previous Sunday I did a run and bike biathlon and was at supra-threshold for almost two hours total. Then on Tuesday I did 5 four minute supra-threshold intervals up a mtn pass at over 10,000 feet. The day before the race I did 3 one minute run intervals and those felt much harder than they've felt before. I never really had that anxious, abundant energy feeling that I've heard other people talk about with their tapers. Mainly I just felt worn out. I've been trying to balance work and family with a big increase in training time and intensity and I feel exhausted.
I was measuring time and pace as compared to last year. I felt that my RPE was less on the swim, same on the bike, and higher on the run.
I had felt much stronger in training. I did an LT test early in the season and was at 170bpm and around 220 watts. I was hoping I could increase that after months of training. Do you guys do an LT test at the end of your season as well?
I can't tell if the field was stronger, they all seem pretty fast, I fell two spots in my AG (6th to 8th but I guess that could be anything.)
Again I appreciate you guys posting and giving me feedback. Do any of you know a good book or site for structuring a winter training plan? I think I'll do some cross races and then I think I need a break from the bike.

I'm personally a big fan of The cyclists training bible by Friel. There is no true training plan covered in it, but more of a "what to do to train right" philosophy. I read the book at the beginning of April and have since seen ENORMOUS gains.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
You placed worse but how was your time? Compare both swim times too. If you are in the open water current can play minutes into the spread.

It appears that your overall fitness is good since you can place high(top 10) but a 2 hour full on effort the week before can take a lot out of you if you don't recover during the week. This is even more effort than your A event sprint. Also the day before I only do low intensity stuff with a few verty short hard efforts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts