Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know. Then you wake up during the night, and it feels numb and flops around like it's dead. I always wonder if I'm gonna lose my arm after an event like that.
Last night I could swear I felt and heard the blood rush back into the limb after some vigorous rubbing. (oh no you don't)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
nOOky said:
You know. Then you wake up during the night, and it feels numb and flops around like it's dead. I always wonder if I'm gonna lose my arm after an event like that.
Last night I could swear I felt and heard the blood rush back into the limb after some vigorous rubbing. (oh no you don't)
You need a totem that you can trust. Something no one else knows about.

·
9,790 Posts
Far too often for comfort...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just recently I woke up and thought I had actually lost my arm. Was dead asleep up into the shoulder joint. Freaky.
Another time I woke up with BOTH arms under me, dead asleep. Had to "throw" myself off of them to get up. What a way to wake up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
have any of you ever woke up with your leg asleep and you didnt realize it until you try and stand up ? then you end up face planting the floor....................GREAT WAY TO WAKE UP !!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
One time it happened to my friend. She woke up in the middle of the night and she could feel this arm wrapped around her side. She lay there thinking, who the heck did she go to bed with last night?

Then she started getting the feeling back in her arm and was all relieved that it wasn't some stranger's arm.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Happens occasionally, sometimes both arms sleep, which is a bit awkward. It takes a few minutes for the feeling to return.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I used to have this happen when I slept with my arm under my pillow. It is indeed a very strange feeling to have a "dead limb" attached and feel the blood rush into it to bring it alive. I imagine it is similar for a person who has a stroke and cannot move their arm.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
nOOky said:
Go with it. It's called "The Stranger."

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Searching the web on it bummed me out. Your brain basically loses communication with the nerves in the limb, you don't actually lose blood flow to it. The thought of losing blood flow and risking damaging the limb sounds much more dramatic :D

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I'm pretty sure my whole body goes to sleep when I'm sleeping.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i worked at a camp and fell asleep on a concrete floor. woke up and both arms were asleep. try standing up from lying prone, face down, that way. not fun.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
It happens to me when I sleep in a bed that is too hard.

It's not a problem at home (sleepnumber bed), but on vacation it happens quite a lot if the mattress is too firm.

·
Registered
452 Posts
weltyed said:
i worked at a camp and fell asleep on a concrete floor. woke up and both arms were asleep. try standing up from lying prone, face down, that way. not fun.
You fell asleep face-down on a concrete floor while at camp? What kind of camp was this, boot camp? :D

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
it used to happen every time when i wore a t-shirt or other short sleeve to bed/fall asleep. stopped that practice, now only occasionally.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts