Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an auction on ebay (I know, here we go again). Here is the auction:

Ebay bike for sale

The seller listed Ken pedals on the bike...lol. The pedals look more like Keo's, which is probably what he is meaning to say. What do you think? Is he a scam artist, or just someone that has no idea about anything cycling that came across a nice bike.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
grampy bone said:
I am looking at an auction on ebay (I know, here we go again). Here is the auction:

Ebay bike for sale

The seller listed Ken pedals on the bike...lol. The pedals look more like Keo's, which is probably what he is meaning to say. What do you think? Is he a scam artist, or just someone that has no idea about anything cycling that came across a nice bike.
Looks pretty scamy to me.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM STAY AWAY.

A high end-bike by a zero-feedback noob with "you must e-mail me for a buy it now before bidding" is clearly a scam, to begin with. Follow with

"gear changing brake levers"

"ON THE TIRES IT SAYS 700X23C"

It says? You don't know?

And WHAT is a carbon fiber "goose neck?"

·
Registered
727 Posts
i would have to agree. either the seller is a moron and this will be a steal of a deal, or it is a scam. i am leaning towards the latter, and it isn't worth the risk. it all goes back to the saying, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

·
Registered
324 Posts
The guy doesn't know what he's selling, and has zero feedback. Anyone that buys from him is a sucker. Best case scenario it's just a stolen bike.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
srf said:
The guy doesn't know what he's selling, and has zero feedback. Anyone that buys from him is a sucker. Best case scenario it's just a stolen bike.
and he's French, we hate the French.... ;)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
This is a classic scam.

Here is a little trick. Scammers are fn lazy and they will use the same email account on multiple listings. Put his email address, [email protected] in the buy field and click on search title and description. You can see that he has pirated two other ebay members accounts with excellent feedback. He uses their feedback to gain your trust to sell big ticket items.

Tell tale signs of a scam:
1.) email me first request
2.) Excellent feedback but no transactions lately (scammers look for dormant accounts so the actual owner won't even realize the account has been pirated)
3.) Excellent feedback on a slew of completely unrelated items (like they always seem to sell baby clothes and all of the sudden they have a 06 Madone that they stumbled on)
4.) Any auction of 3 days or less
5.) Any auction where the bidders names are kept private (it is so the bidders can't be warned)

Turns out he also has a 06 Madone too :D

PowerMac G5 2.7GHz Dual/6.5GBRAM/400GB HD Like New
New 06 Trek Madone 5.9 SL Bicycle NO RESERVE!
2005 Orbea Orca 54CM Carbon Fiber Rode Less Than 10X!
1950s SEEBURG JUKEBOX 100 C MINT THE BEST! STUNNING!!

I forgot to add that most of the descriptions are just cut and pasted from different listings. You can tell that the Madone listing was done like this because the bullet points didn't translate and now have a funny symbol. This guy has likely taken his descriptions from european ebay accounts. You can take a very specific phrase from the description and use the search the same as the email to find other listings with the same wording.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
srf said:
I just put the bidding up to $5,000 and was outbid. Maybe I'll try & jack it up some more. =)
That should keep the lemmings away ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info

I'm glad I posted this message here. I wasn't going to bid or anything, but to me the guy looked like an idiot with a nice bike, rather than a scammer. Now I see he is definately a scammer. I also appreciate the telltale signs of a scammer. I've got about $2500 to spend on a new bike, so I'll definately do everything I can to keep from getting screwed.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
grampy bone said:
I'm glad I posted this message here. I wasn't going to bid or anything, but to me the guy looked like an idiot with a nice bike, rather than a scammer. Now I see he is definately a scammer. I also appreciate the telltale signs of a scammer. I've got about $2500 to spend on a new bike, so I'll definately do everything I can to keep from getting screwed.
I am an eBay troll. I can be looking for you, too. 5% Finders Fee :rolleyes:

What size bike are you looking for? What material frame? and what level of components?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
handsomerob said:
I am an eBay troll. I can be looking for you, too. 5% Finders Fee :rolleyes:

What size bike are you looking for? What material frame? and what level of components?
Size 54 bike, Ultegra or better, carbon frame, or carbon mix. I have it narrowed down to a six13 Team or TCR comp 1. I may consider other bikes, but the reviews of these two seem to be unmatched. I have ridden both and..well you've seen the reviews too, so I won't bore anyone with that. Slightly partial to the cannondale, but its a bit pricey, so I was trying to catch one on ebay. Giant seems to go uphill better though...

I'm basically trying to be patient and wait for the best deal to come along.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts