Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my bottles out today and actually looked inside of them and could not believe what I saw. Some sort of fungi was growing. I am assuming it is from the extran/carboom drinks, but if it grows fungi/mold on a bottle??? What does it do to my stomach?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You have a choice only ever use water and clean you bottles regularly or buy clear water bottles with large opening with funny curves.

clear bottle - you can see the insides
large opening - you can get in and clean the bottle
funny curves - harder to clean

While the mold may not kill you, it not going to do you much good.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
I chuck mine in the Dishwasher..

After uses. Then dry them upside down with the babys bottle dryer. Good use for something that would normaly be yardsaled in the coming months.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Death by Osmosis

I put them away with hot water and a large quantity of salt for half an hour. Rinse and let dry, no life forms and it doesn't leave a nasty taste behind.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I rinse them in water and put them on the window sill. They dry out pretty quickly where I live because the humidity is low. The sunlight ultraviolet sanitizes them. Occasionally they get grimy outside, so I run them through the dishwasher. Water bottles in my house don't breed like hangars do so there isn't a large collection of them. I can always pick a fresh pair up every day because there are eight to choose from.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I make it a point to never look into my waterbottles. On the other hand, I never use anything but water in them. I'll wash them out at least twice a year.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
better off NOT knowing...

I rode with a gal for a couple of years....hehehe...she was a micro-biologist....she cultured her bottle once!
Two things that work...chlorine...you really do not need that much, a 1/4 cup per gallon is what the usda reccomends I think....and then an over night soak with a strong baking soda/water to rid the bottle of the chlorine taste... or, believe it or not.....denture cleaning stuff is REALLY good for the occasional very thorough cleaning.
If I have a sports drink with me I always carry water too to rinse and or drink after the sugary stuff......it WILL damage your teeth!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,337 Posts
Insight Driver said:
I suggest you learn about the sanitiziing effects of ultraviolet light. Try using Google, for example. Ignorance repeated enough times becomes fact. Ultraviolet light kills micro organisms. It's a fact.
The one's that it don't though, are the one's you don't want to be drinking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.