Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in college I waited tables in an Italian restaurant. Well, one day I was changing in the bathroom before my shift. After I finished changing I looked in the mirror and there was a 4"x4" section that was fogged over. I felt the hair on the back of my neck go up and I knew I wasn't alone. The window was closed and I didn't run the water. So, I wrote "hello" with my finger in the fogged up section, and I waited, but there was no response.

There was absolutely no reasonable way to explain this. According to the owner, there were no pipes behind the mirror. It was freaky.

Another time, in the same building, I was have a drink at the bar. It was a small L shaped bar with about 8 seats. We were closed, so the only ones left in the building was the bartender, the chef, and me. Well, we were talking about ghosts, and I said "I don't believe in actual ghosts, just spirits and energies." No sooner did I finish that sentence did something hit the back of my chair.

Now the bartender was sitting across from me behind the bar. My chef was sitting next to me, but he weighed like 400+lbs, so there's no way he coulda moved without me seeing him in my peripheral vision. I immediately stood up, asked the bartender if he saw something, nope. Asked the chef if he hit the back of my chair, nope. In fact when it happened I looked down and saw his hands on the bar. I inspected the back of the chair and there were three marks exactly where I felt the chair was shoved.

Freaked me out! Hair standing on the back of my neck...etc.

From what I understand, the restaurant was built on a civil war era burial ground that was moved.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Not seen one...but

I work with a lot of kids, between the ages of 1 - 5.

What is the deal with all those kids and their "imaginary" friends. All day long they walk around talking to them...They offer up way too much detail in their descriptions...Names, clothes, where they live....Gives me the creeps.

What's really creepy is when a few kids, who don't know each other, have the same friend, name and description. One kid has a friend named the Greensboro Man. Normal kid behavior maybe...but still, when you see them talking, their eyes focused on something...sharing and laughing...just a little creepy...

·
go up
648 Posts
I don't believe, BUT. . . I live on part of a civil war battlefield; the Battle Above the Clouds, in Chattanooga, TN. My "ghost" is not frightening, it's more of a pain in the @55. In my livingroom there is a fireplace with a raised brick hearth, with a tiled section of floor seperating the hearth from the carpeted floor. One morning I noticed several spots of what looks like candle-wax drops on the brick and tile. While cleaning up the wax I noticed it was plain, white wax, which is odd; I have candles all over the place but all are some color other than white and they all are scented with some smelly chemicals, being gifts from my GF. Same thing happened a few months later. No chains, no banging, no cold air, just scrubbing and cleaning. It just happened a third time only a couple weeks ago. In conversations with my neighbors, I've found there are a lot of other odd things happening in the area, too.

While we are talking of ghosts. . . why the heck do people think ghosts come out only at night?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't think I can call myself a person who believes in a human "spirit" and not believe in ghosts, but I just don't see it. Way too skeptical to believe in ghosts, ET's, or weapons of mass destruction.

However, I don't doubt that you had some sort of an experience that freaked you out. I can totally believe that. It's happened to me too. But it was different than yours.

However, i do want to bring into the discussion a subject that has been on my mind since seeing the movie "Signs" the other evening.

What if we did make "contact" with other forms of intelligent life in the Universe? Do we really even want them to know that we are here? I mean, odds are, they are going to be more intelligent than us, and we all know that the smarter species usually rules the less intelligent ones. Do we REALLY want to make it known that we're here, and that we're dumb? I think all this money being spent on ET research is noble and all, and interesting, but I don't know if we really do want to know if there is life elsewhere.

They could be ameobas. They might not be.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Chattanooga is a millitary town

So sayeth 'Sea 7 States' (late 80's Knoxville band)

That place is so rich in history you can't help but TRIP over all the ghosts. Between the battlefields, old homesteads and that mental institution in the valley you might have to call
Ghostbusters!:D

fwiw- My room mate from UT was from Redbank and I spent some time in your beautiful city!

·
Registered
137 Posts
deadlegs said:
I don't believe, BUT. . . I live on part of a civil war battlefield; the Battle Above the Clouds, in Chattanooga, TN. My "ghost" is not frightening, it's more of a pain in the @55. In my livingroom there is a fireplace with a raised brick hearth, with a tiled section of floor seperating the hearth from the carpeted floor. One morning I noticed several spots of what looks like candle-wax drops on the brick and tile. While cleaning up the wax I noticed it was plain, white wax, which is odd; I have candles all over the place but all are some color other than white and they all are scented with some smelly chemicals, being gifts from my GF. Same thing happened a few months later. No chains, no banging, no cold air, just scrubbing and cleaning. It just happened a third time only a couple weeks ago. In conversations with my neighbors, I've found there are a lot of other odd things happening in the area, too.

While we are talking of ghosts. . . why the heck do people think ghosts come out only at night?
Better wax than blood, I say.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I lived in a haunted apartment in college.

The front door would unlock, or lock, on its own. My roommates and I would hear glasses break in the middle of the day. I would hear banging on my door in the middle of the night.

Then one evening, I was in my bedroom working at my computer, while my roommate was on the other side of the wall working in his room on his computer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone walk out of the bathroom past my door. Neither of our other roomates were home at the time. So I asked my roommate if he had walked across his room, thinking I had just seen his shadow.

He said no.

Then asked me the same question.

I said no.

Then he asked me who walked out of the bathroom.

I said I didn't know. So we assume it was the ghost.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
spyderman said:
I felt the hair on the back of my neck go up and I knew I wasn't alone....

Freaked me out! Hair standing on the back of my neck...etc.
Get your neck shaved and you won't have to worry about ghosts.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
I have never personally seen or heard anything that I would call a ghost. I have never lived over and old battlefield or grave yard either. I fall on the side of unbelieving. Not saying my mind could not be changed, I just haven't seen anything yet in my 34 years.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup, lotsa times

grew up in a house with 2 of em (1 male, 1 female) was pretty ordinary occurence, harmless. My mom became friends with the deceased woman (she died very young) friends and had them all over for lunch one day. They were together in the family room, the temp dropped radically, they all got chicken skin, talked about it,my mom says,"It has to be her" they all kinda get freaked out. Last time she was 'felt' or seen. we figure seeing all her childhood friends as little old ladies helped her figure out it was time to move on.

Came face to face with one in Salt lake City one eve. Whole next day it's follwoing me around the house. Cieling lamps and Chandelliers start doing the slow twirl, skin crawling.

My wife's and my first house actually had to be 'cleared'. windows opening and closing on their own accord, same mysterious blood stain showing up on the bathroom floor, words appearing on mirrors, radios turning on on their own and unplugged telephones somehow ringing. When the person came over to 'clear' the house, she walked in the front door and said "I don't think I brought enough supplies".

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
No, I was going like what? where? what? when people around me were freaking out.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I've never seen any.

But I do believe in spirits and I find it highly likely that there are spirits around us. Too many believable occurances for me to believe otherwise.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
spyderman said:
There was absolutely no reasonable way to explain this.
Unfortunately I have never seen / felt one one, however, my Dad had an experience the night of my wedding.

It was outside Portland OR where there's this funky old turn of the century poor farm thats been converted to a Winery/Brewery/Distillery/hotel. Anyhows he's in bed when he hears this soft crying, he thinks nothing of it figuring its in an adjacent room. Next he feels the bed sink next to him as if someone had just sat down, he is on his side and when he tries to roll over to see whats up he is unable to move. He goes into a slight panic as he thinks he has had a stroke. After what he thought was probably only 15 seconds the pressure on the bed lifts and then he is able to roll over. The next morning at breakfast he was visibly shook by what had happened. My sister then asked some of the staff if there had ever been any reports of any strangeness in the hotel and the the reply was my Dad's experience to a T. Turns out his room was over what had been the infirmery.....

very odd say the least but I reallly hope something weird like that happens to me someday......until then I will always have a bit of skepticism.......

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Lived in a haunted apartment.

Had an apartment in the top floor of a 100 year old house. After moving in small things started to happen, things falling off shelves, small items not being where they had been left. One night an unplugged telephone started to ring. The phone was on the floor in the center of the room, no where near a plug. My wife looks at me, so I answered it, but there was nothing but static, which was of course rather interesting since it wasn't plugged in! Also what ever it was hated this brown electric clock. I would come home and the hands would be spinning around the face at warp speed. One time I mentioned out loud, "you really hate that clock don't you" The clock then jumped off the shelf, flying three feet, hitting me in the leg. I said "all right already" and got rid of the clock. we didn't have any other problems after that.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
EasyRider47 said:
FWIW - here you go - something to think about...

2. Whenever a close family member (even extended family) has died, they have visted me once afterwards (once again, dream-like event, but not a normal dream) . I have had several premonitions about people (family etc.) who were unwell, and I have told my wife - and the people have died within days (some when they were not apparently close to death at the time).
Close:

After my grandfather (Dads side) died I had two distinct dream like 'visits' with him. To this day 25 years later I remember them clear as a bell.....what's odd is 5 years later, when I was in college, I mentioned the "dreams/visits" to my Dad, he got kinda quiet and then said that he had had almost the exact same meetings, similar conversation etc.......we both got kinda spooked at the coincidence.....

lot's of odd stuff out there, that's for sure

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I lost a close friend at 19

and he came to me in dream visits about 3x and yes their lucidity is freakish. Is this the brain just trying to work things out? the fact that the experieince like yours Svend was shared with another person (kinda like the similarities of NDE's) tends to throw the argument into the paranormal advantage.
Oh and I had a 'sit down' with the Ghost in my childhood home. woke up for some unknown reason and couldn't lift my legs. Didn't think I was paralyzed but was freaked. looked and saw the dent in the bedspread right next to my feel.watched it disappear and got my legs back. Svend your story totally triggerd that memory.

·
Registered
132 Posts
atpjunkie said:
and he came to me in dream visits about 3x and yes their lucidity is freakish. Is this the brain just trying to work things out? the fact that the experieince like yours Svend was shared with another person (kinda like the similarities of NDE's) tends to throw the argument into the paranormal advantage.
Oh and I had a 'sit down' with the Ghost in my childhood home. woke up for some unknown reason and couldn't lift my legs. Didn't think I was paralyzed but was freaked. looked and saw the dent in the bedspread right next to my feel.watched it disappear and got my legs back. Svend your story totally triggerd that memory.

I have experienced a few of those things... Extremely lucid dreams, like where you pinch yourself in the dream and ask "am i dreaming?". Waking up but cannot move a muscle, hear loud, metallic clanking noises, lie in bed, paralyzed and feel and hear something move about in my apartment, feel that something is touching me (can be leftover feelings from a dream perhaps). But i have never seen a ghost, like that.
A very dear friend of mine could see, i guess you could call them ghosts, enteties. She could see them, sense them, standing in my room, like angels, she called them guardians.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
any species intelligent enough to reach us physically has probably gotten beyond our pettiness and hatred.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts