Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

· Banned
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I saw this older guy riding with a shirt that said 'safety first' on it sans helmet, maybe he was trying to be ironic (?) And then today I saw a guy riding with his helmet attached to his belt loop. bad hip perhaps, just in case he goes down he wants it protected:rolleyes: .

I always were my helmet unless I am just going down the driveway to check on an adjustment that I have made. I had a friend who was a few years ahead of me in grade school, that was really bright and an avid cyclist that had an accident with a car and was not wearing a helmet (nobody did then) He lived but was in a coma for awhile and basically went from someone who was headed for an ivy league school to someone that is mentally handicapped. So eventhough I am not a religous person I do say a little 'please don't let me get hit, please don't let me go down' pray before I go out.

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
I see them occasionally...riding on the road, against traffic, sans helmet. I've seen pics of folks who have their helmet on backwards as well, though I've never encountered that personally.

Of course, I live in one of the few states in the union that doesn't have a helmet law for motorcyclists, so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

· Registered
151 Posts
Opus51569 said:
I've seen pics of folks who have their helmet on backwards as well, though I've never encountered that personally.
I blame the hip hop culture for this phenomenon.

Opus51569 said:
Of course, I live in one of the few states in the union that doesn't have a helmet law for motorcyclists, so I probably shouldn't be surprised.
Same here. Almost invariably the ones not wearing helmets are the ones doing the craziest/most reckless stuff on them as well.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Define Safe

Cpk said:
...a shirt that said 'safety first' on it sans helmet...
There is a lot more to being safe than simply strapping on a helmet. I noticed you did not comment on how he was riding.

Typically they hand out those 'Safety First" T-SHirts to the safety nazis on large charity rides. THese are usually volunteers who deem safe riding as meainig no pacelines and an endless calling out of "on your left" as you pass folks who insist on riding two-three abreast as slow as they can on the oldest bike that the tires have not rotted off of.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
pennstater said:
I always wear my helmet in my driveway, especially after a "minor" adjustment. Last time I crashed was in my driveway due to a minor adjustment gone awry.
Worst accident I've had came this way. I grabbed the helmet as an afterthought, normally I would not have bothered. My helmet hit the asphalt two times hard and cracked.

· pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Saddle nearly all the way down + riser bars with tall stem and spacers. I see it all the time on the rail-trail, and wonder how many of these people ride only once and then give it up because their knees hurt.

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Opus51569 said:
I've seen pics of folks who have their helmet on backwards as well, though I've never encountered that personally.
I saw my first backwards helmet this weekend...I always thought it was an urban legend..:D

· Registered
9 Posts
They're Called "DONORS"

Yeah, a friend of mine (an emergency room nurse) tells me that the medical people refer to those bicyclists who do not wear helmets as Donors. Always makes me wonder why someone would not wear a helmet. They are extremely light, you can almost forget you have one on, and they do keep some of the sun off your dome.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
What do you honestly say to your friends who you ride with all the time that insist that they're fine and repeatedly dont wear their helmet?

Do you just tell them once that they should wear it, it may save their lives? Or do you tell them every ride? what?

btw, i love my helmet, $80, a little pricey, but it makes its way on my head every ride. (Spec Decibel)

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Goofy riders with flat tires, backwards helmets and seats that are too low never surprise me, they don’t know any better…

It’s the riders that look like they should know better about wearing a helmet (but don’t) that make me shake my head.

I've seen this guy that rides a Parlee with full Campy and expensive wheels. He wears Sidi shoes and a full team kit.

His legs are shaved and his calves look like they have some serious miles on them. He's tall, skinny and has a shaved head.

I know his head is shaved because I've never seen him wear a helmet. He rides with a group of fast guys that all have similar pro level bikes and race kits but they ALL have helmets on.

I don't get it....:confused:

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.