Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And probably more. Does anyone have any tips to get rid of mice or to make a home as unpleasing as possible for residency?

I'm pretty sure they are/were living in my attic & walls, from the scratching/gnawing sounds I used to hear last year. I haven't heard any of those noises lately though.

Then a few nights ago, I saw a mouse skitter across my kitchen floor. It was the first mouse that I've seen in this house, which I've been living in for about 3 years. It looked like it was either eating pretty well, or preggo...

So now I'm creating my battle plan - I'll be setting up snappy and electronic traps around the house; rubbing some peppermint oil along the walls, corners and crevices; and maybe spraying in the crawl space to help minimize any food sources - there are a ton of camel crickets down there. I keep a pretty clean house, so there isn't much human food lying around.

What sez da lownge?

P.S. I'm allergic to cats... But not snakes (fast forward a couple years for my thread on how to evict cobras).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The traps always work fine for me. We get mice coming in every fall when the weather turns cool. I set multiple traps in likely places (mostly under the kitchen sink). It doesn't seem too complicated.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Warfarin or its derivatives.

Stay away from Bromethalin. Unlike the above, there is no antidote.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
We have a cat that's on a diet... she pretty much chases down and eats anything... except the spiders.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get glue traps and place them along walls and travel areas. Set them outside for owl bait once you catch them on the glue trap.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I fought this battle with rats.

The gold standard for rodent control is snap traps plus physical barriers. Traps alone will control the population, but they won't necessarily eliminate the problem. Poison is usually ineffective (they quickly learn to avoid it) and glue traps are less humane (they kill very slowly). I've heard electric traps can work well, but I never had any success with the one I bought. Cats won't do anything to control rodents living in the attic and walls. If they've made it into your living space, it usually means there is a major infestation and killing the few stragglers who do venture into it usually won't control the problem. Rats and mice like dark hidden spaces- they don't venture out of the shadows unless forced to.

You need to find out where they are getting in - any external opening bigger than a dime is a potential entry point. In my house, attic vents and louvers were the main entry points. Use galvanized steel hardware cloth to seal entry points- spray foam or plastic barriers can be gnawed through. Place lots of traps on rodent runs in the attic (usually a discolored section along walls) or other places where there is evidence of rodent activity (such as droppings). Use at least a dozen of them- more if you have a big attic.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
My 12 lb cat is all I need. Saw a rat trying to eat seed from a bird feeder... Let my cat out and that was the end of that.

That cat looks huge

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Borrow an acetylene torch. Make a neutral flame, snuff it out, and replace the air inside the house with the resulting gas mixture. Have your mother in law walk up the house smoking a cig and then have her open the door. Watch from a distance, there should be no mice left in the house.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Hmmm........you're allergic to cats; you might like your in-laws; burning the house down might be an option depending on insurance; glue traps are inhumane; poison doesn't work long-term.......

Hire a professional.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Get glue traps and place them along walls and travel areas. Set them outside for owl bait once you catch them on the glue trap.
you better not harm an owl..... fact is if there were owls, the mice would likely not be a problem

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
How allergic? My nephew was allergic and went to the allergist to satisfy his then girlfriend, now wife who wanted a cat. He lives with two cats now and has no issues? Our cats kill everything, bugs, rodents, if it comes in the house and it's sub 3lbs o so, it's dead and eaten. Our outside cats, from which our inside cats hail, kill everything in the area. I'm kind of in the woods but no moles, chipmunks, mice... They get the occasional squirrel, plenty of birds (often flickers) and once got a muskrat.

Don't go with snakes. You'd need hundreds. They eat a mouse and they are all set for like 6 years. Cats, like humans, kill for fun. And it's all natural. (Pls don't do glue or poison!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.