Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the day they covered events in Europe from 1933 to 1945...

Now, I know that I'm kinda splittin' hairz a bit... and maybe holding on to the past a bit too tightly... and indeed, while I really like Didi Sendf (that irrascable "Devil" at le Tours and other bike races), a pic of a German in a goose step pose might be considered at least... odd.

True, most folks might not even know that Didi is German... and I'm guessing that this was just a moment of time captured by the camera rather than that taken just before his right arm flew out in salute (think the last scenes of the movie "Dr. Strangelove")... this might be catagorized under the heading "Things That Make You Go, Hmmm..."

So, am I just being too anal, showing my age and forgetting that the war ended over 60 years ago or did the folks at Excel use the same ad folks as those that made up that recent New Yorker cover with the Obamas?

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I'm sure you're the only one who got that ad that interpreted it that way. First of all, lots of people know who the devil guy is, but how many know he is German? Second, that hardly looks like a goose step. It's way too high. Finally, Germans were goose stepping long before 1933.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You need two pieces of knowledge to make this leap.

1) The part about that you picked up in history class, Ok everybody should know that I agree.

2) The Devil that you see at major bike races is a German citizen. That's a piece of trivia, not something well known except amongst "geeks" (like you and me).

I don't think it's over the line.

Scot

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I'm sure you're the only one who got that ad that interpreted it that way. First of all, lots of people know who the devil guy is, but how many know he is German? Second, that hardly looks like a goose step. It's way too high. Finally, Germans were goose stepping long before 1933.
Why is it called a goose step anyway? Do geese really walk that way?:rolleyes:

//I'm offended because the Assos creme has the word "Ass" in it.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I'm offended by the SS lightening bolt in their name. Bastids.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those are eastern European (Russian Bloc) soldiers, not Germans. The SKS rifles they are carrying are post WWII, so this is not a photo of pre 1933 Germans doing the Goose Step. It originated with the Prussian army in the 18 somethings.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I'm guessing he was caught in the middle of something that was not a Nazi-inspired march up Mt. Ventoux, and the ad guys just fit him in between the product blocks.

Are very many even aware of his German heritage?

To me, it's looks more like a Rockettes kick, and I doubt we need to worry about the political leanings of the Radio City chorus line.

I agree it can grab you that way though, but I don't think it's evocative of anything bad.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Shrike said:
Those are eastern European (Russian Bloc) soldiers, not Germans. The SKS rifles they are carrying are post WWII, so this is not a photo of pre 1933 Germans doing the Goose Step. It originated with the Prussian army in the 18 somethings.
Those are East Germans, maybe around 1968. I was not trying to show Germans pre-1933. Actually, Didi's step looks more like something from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
post-WW II

The guys in post #4 are East German Army (NVA) soldiers in front of the "Neue Wache" in the former East Berlin. They started that ceremonial changing of the guard in 1967 and ended it on Oct. 2, 1990, one day before German unification.

FWIW, that step was never called 'goose step' in German. It's called 'Parademarsch' (parade step / march) and is no longer practiced. There is the word 'Gänsemarsch' (goose step / march) in the German language, but it simply refers to people walking in a line, one behind the other, as geese or ducks are apt to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.