Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider this year and I bought a bike from Performance Bike at their retail store. No one could touch their price for the components I got plus they offer free lifetime adjustments. I am dissatisfied with the fitting. The only thing they did was take this bike for a ride and see how you like it and how it fits. I didn't like it, it was too small, I felt cramped, so they moved the seat back. I said I like it better but let me try the next larger size. I rode it, I like it, I bought it. What do I know?

Prior to buying this bike, I went to 10 LBS. They all did the same thing for fitting. No measurements, just ride and tell us what you feel. One of the LBS, a very high end bike shop, the owner is Serotta certified. They also did their adjustments the same way unless you wanted to spend $25 to get their "Basic Fitting - we will conduct a short interview while you are warming up on the trainer. Observe your riding and make adjustments to fit an existing bike to you." or they have an "Advanced Fitting - we will have you do some stretching exercises conduct an interview and have you warm up. This will be done on your existing bike or on our Serotta Size Cycle depending on whether we are trying to improve your fit or design a new bicycle for you. Every aspect of fit will be addressed and you can rest assured you will be ready for long days in the saddle when we are finished." I told them I'm here looking to spend $1,500 for a bike and you want to charge me $25 for a fitting or $100 for a fitting? They said you don't have to spend that money, you can just try to do it on your own with our guidance on how it should fit when you go out for your trial rides. I think this is stupid, it's faster and better to have them at least do the $25 fit for free if you buy a bike.

This was last year. These people don't remember me now. Is it worth it to go back to this same bike shop, bring the bike that I bought at Performance, and spend $100 to get fitted exactly? I probably should only be fitted by the owner since he is the one Serotta certified. Again, is it worth the $100? The bike feels pretty good to me. The longest bike ride as of date was 40 miles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you don't have any discomfort and feel that the bike fits you fine now then why payfor a professional fitting? You can generally tell when something isn't right or if your position could be improved so if you aren't having those feelings then don't bother.

However I do find it odd that a LBS wouldn't include a decent fitting as part of the purchase, I guess I just lucked out with mine, they still make fit adjustments for me when I feel like I need it and will do this & that for me when I need it.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
At my lbs the $25 fitting session is included with any new bike purchase. The $100 fitting takes a couple of hours so it's not really feasible for a shop to do this for every bike they sell.

Since you've already ridden this bike for a year, I think your window of opportunity is closed. They will probably take a quick look at you, but if you want any in-depth analysis, be prepared to pay for it.

BTW, I went through the Serotta fitting early last spring and it was the best thing I've ever done. And I had almost 4 years of riding in me, so I thought I was pretty well dialed in on my fit.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
fitting by someone very skilled can be worthwhile, if only to hear suggestions about what you may wish to change or how this or that adjustment could affect your riding. But so much, SOOOO much BS passes for accepted wisdom that I am very skeptical of the value of most fittings.
You can get used to so very much, and the tolerances multiplied by some factor to the third decimal place that drive some fittings are so small and based on absolute voodoo, that I think most fittings are not really worth it.
There is enough to enough of the lore to get you close, and close is often close enough. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Go here and check out some of the excellent information on bike fitting and fitting calculators. Most shops use the same methods anyway. Based on these calculations you should be able to get a decent bike fit (no worse than the $25 fit they provide in a store) and then you have to start tweaking.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to road riding and bought my road bike based on my own calculations and a 5 minute demo at the LBS. The very first ride was a 67km ride (almost 2h 20min on the bike), with no issues. Mind you, I am a very experienced mountain biker and have ridden many times 3-4 hours on XC trails.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Depends how the bike feels and how much you think you need adjustments. If you really think about it $100 isn't really all that much. You can spend that much on tires, shorts and a jersey, shoes are usually more. What about the cost of the bike itself. Whats the point of spending all of this money when the most important thing-the comfort of the ride isn't there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Generally a good LBS will deduct the fee if you purchase a bike from them...why would anyone spend good money on a frame without making sure the geometry is correct for their body....yes, you can tweak the saddle positions & stem length/height, but the top tube and seat tube lengths will determine if you're a happy rider...especially if you're riding >30miles....A 'deal' isn't so great if it doesn't meet your needs ....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ditto Innergel

innergel said:
At my lbs the $25 fitting session is included with any new bike purchase. The $100 fitting takes a couple of hours so it's not really feasible for a shop to do this for every bike they sell.

Since you've already ridden this bike for a year, I think your window of opportunity is closed. They will probably take a quick look at you, but if you want any in-depth analysis, be prepared to pay for it.

BTW, I went through the Serotta fitting early last spring and it was the best thing I've ever done. And I had almost 4 years of riding in me, so I thought I was pretty well dialed in on my fit.
I had the Serotta fitting done by my LBS. Best $100 I spent. At the time I was riding a C'dale, and it was a non-C'dale shop. No problem. Fitting took about an hour, and they then offered to make the adjustments to my C'dale (at a price). I do my own wrenching, so I did them myself.

I agree with others that there should be more of a "fitting" done by your LBS when purchasing a bike, as this is one of the best selling points for the value of the LBS. However, I do think the high end fitting is still a value that is worth paying for.

Bottom line, if you are not comfortable on your ride, and can't dial it in yourself, the fitting is worth the $100.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've had good luck with the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
You take various measurements of your body and plug em in, and they give back 3 different "fit types" depending on your style of riding, with ranges for each measurement. I think this addresses the fact that no one fit works for everyone, but it does give you ballpark figures; for example, I found that I was running quite a lot more setback than what was recommended, and have since moved my saddle forward and feel that my power transmission has improved.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
It depends........

the more experienced the fitter, the more the $100 is worth it.

Here is the problem:

-Your body can adapt to almost anything if you ride it long enough.
-An inexperienced fitter can only get you co close.....an experienced fitter can get you where the bike feels like part of you.

Ask around......talk to really experienced riders in your area.....find out who they think is a good fitter. Ask enough and you will start to hear the same names. That's the person to go to. In the mean time, read all you can on fitting. You'll find that many of the fitting systems contradict each other. In the end it's about what works for you.

Fitting to me is about weight distribution over the bike, proper balanced reach, comfort and power. I've played around with my fit quite a bit to find what works for me.

The $100 is cheap for the right fitter. (and most shops will apply this to a bike you buy)

Len

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.