Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All :)

I had to replace the rear rim on my mountain bike as I had bent it, it had a flat in so to speak and you could feel it each revolution. It was running from side to side with about and up and down with an inch of travel in both directions.

So I decided to replace the rim, got a 26" Mavic 717 disc rim, 32 holes and pretty light weight at 390 grams. I turned the bike upside down, then undid and hence removed the back wheel, removed the tyre and inner tube with tyre levers. I then taped the old rim to the new rim at 8 points, like a starfish with PVC tape. I then removed the rim tape and loosened all of the spokes with a spoke wrench. I then unscrewed the spokes via the screws in the rim, four at a time and transfered them from the old rim to the new rim in a sequence, repeated this 8 times until I had the new rim on the wheel and the old rim out of the way.

The problem was truing the wheel and getting the spoke tension, on some sides I overtightned the spokes and less on other sides, when I put the wheel back on the bike there was lots of lateral (side to side) movement of about 2 inches at worst and not much up and down movement. I then tried to true the wheel but in the process I could hear metal squeeking (overtightned) as I did it up too much. I now have some circular nipples and stuck spokes. Do you think its possible that I could have bent the rim?

The rim could have come damaged in transit though as to be honest the shop sent some shoes and pedals inside the rim so to speak, see below

/----------\
|SHOES|
\----------/

Is that likely to have damaged it?
If it is damaged I will buy another rim and let the LBS correct the problem. Is purchasing new spokes neccessary in addition to the rim, and is 50p each spoke i.e. £16 for the wheel excessive for normal stainless spokes?

Sorry about the length of this post, I was an idiot I know but basically. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR EXCESSIVLY TIGHT SPOKES TO BENT A RIM WITHOUT BEING RIDDEN ON?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR EXCESSIVLY TIGHT SPOKES TO BENT A RIM WITHOUT BEING RIDDEN ON?
Its possible, but I don't think it is likely. The squeaking sound was probably the spoke nipples galling against the rim/eyelets as you overtightened them. If you loosen the spokes, the rim will probably return to a normal degree of roundness.

Next time, even up the tension before you really start to crank it up (and stop when you hear the nipples screaming for mercy).

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
You are using wasted spokes to build a new wheel. Spokes are cheap replace them when you build a new wheel. This is one source for your woes. Tight spokes will not bend a rim, they do if tensioned wrong build a wobbly wheel. It takes a decent sized force to actually bend most rims. Use a drop of lube on the nipple at the spoke hole and on the spoke threads. If you over tighten spokes they can cause stress cracks at the spoke holes but this takes some time riding on the too tight wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.