1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
669 Posts
The increase in raw material prices (if true) seems very high, but this is a very small part of the final cost of a frame, with most of the sale cost being markup for profit. I'm sure manufacturers will take the opportunity to raise prices (like they do every year) but I don't see this as being that big of a deal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
A lot of times raw material costs have to be at least partially absorbed by the manufacturer. They have to remain competitive. As has been said, the cost of materials on the bikes is a small portion. The labor, marketing, shipping etc are where the costs are. It isn't that unusual to see 1 or 2 materials to jump up or down in price.

·
Registered
679 Posts
In addition to the points made above, economies of scale, manufacturing efficiencies, raw material yields and raw material performance are constantly changing, often for the better. These can offset the price increases for raw material fiber--keeping in minding that the figures posted in the linked blog post are based solely on hear-say.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've heard this story before and each time the prices have stayed pretty constant...I'm sure for the same reasons stated above....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Titanium supposed went up massively in cost several years ago. Yet entry level US prices didn't change, either.

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
There is another aspect to look at when speculating cost increases. Manufacturer and consumers (corp) will hedge costs of materials ahead of time to stabilize pricing over longer periods. Its a highly common practice in the transportation industry to hedge fuel costs.

The same mentality is likely applied to raw materials consumption to a point...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Keep in mind that high-end bicycle frame prices are purely market-driven. In other words, there's only a vague connection between what the frame costs to make and what it will sell for. A standard 20-foot container of flawless Asian frames might cost you $75-100 per frame. But with aggressive marketing involving a classic brand name, you could easily retail those frames for $1,000 each. The pricing flexibility is huge.

/w

·
Engineer
46 Posts
As a member of the bicycle game, I am familiar with the upcoming price increase in carbon materials. It is mostly due to increased demand from the aerospace industry. As far as the previous thread about $75-100 per frame, good carbon frames are not that cheap. Low quality carbon frames go as low as $150-200 in really large order quantities, but most high quality frames are anywhere from $350-1100 per frame with the latter being time trial frames. Most high quality frames are priced in the middle. Frames you see on ebay for $500 have a wholesale around $300. My costs are going up about 15% due to the increased demand for carbon cloth. Only price increases I will be making were already planned and I still have room for discounts, so I would not worry too much about the price changes next year.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I was buying 6-4 Ti at $12-$18/#. In a year it hit $48 and luckily I had my supply. Saw similar with various steels and that in part was due to the high demand for raw going to China in '04. Their automotive industry fab was buying enough that the producers I sourced didn't have the materials available. For myself, most the cost was absorbed with the margin coming from the labor not the materials.

On boxed bikes, I suspect you'll see a consistent price with cost cutting done in parts like stems, bars, seat posts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts