Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered & bought a new Madone from a local shop. The bar tape was sloppy & I had to re-wrap. No nuts or caps on the valve stems on this $3,000.00 bike. Had a tune-up on my Cannondale R3000 w/ new tires at another shop & all details were covered. What do you expect from your LBS on a tune-up or new purchase?

· Registered
310 Posts
What exactly was wrong with the bar tape that warranted re-taping? Did you bring it to the shop's attention? Maybe they could have taken care of it for you, or at least, recognized and rectified the problem for future customers.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
$3000. is a lot of cash. I would expect it to be immaculate, with everything just right, not like it was assembled by some Wal-Mart kids. Some of these LBS need to wake the hell up, considering you could've bought on-line and deprived them of the revenue.

G

·
likeguymontag said:
Most people take the nuts and valve caps off. They serve no purpose except to make you look like a fred.
You guys aren't talking about the knurled round nut that holds the valve stem in place on the rim are you???

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Yup

AJL said:
You guys aren't talking about the knurled round nut that holds the valve stem in place on the rim are you???
They sure are. These nuts serve VERY little purpose, and often are the cause of problems when people over-tighten them. I've never used them, or the valve caps, on my road bike. On my commuter, I use the valve cap.

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently picked up my first road bike, a Trek 1000. I needed to have the bar rewrapped after the first ride. My LBS told me that the Trek bars come prewrapped from the factory and usually tend to be loose wraps. They had it rewrapped nice and tight in a couple of minutes and this led me to wonder why, if they know this is a problem, don't they rewrap all the new bars before giving it to the customer.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Is this the same Madone you were complaining about in April?

venus said:
I just ordered & bought a new Madone from a local shop. The bar tape was sloppy & I had to re-wrap. No nuts or caps on the valve stems on this $3,000.00 bike. Had a tune-up on my Cannondale R3000 w/ new tires at another shop & all details were covered. What do you expect from your LBS on a tune-up or new purchase?
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=59251

04-29-2006 #15
venus
RoadBikeReview Member

If I could do it myself I wouldn't be at the bike shop. Same with my cars. I just had my Trek Madone delivered w/ wheel levers any which way, no caps or nuts on the stems, bar tape all lumpy, etc. I would do better finishing a new 3 grand bike for sure. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

Didn't we go through all of this once before?

· Registered
6 Posts
Never heard of Trek bars coming pre-wrapped . . . every person I've known that has purchased a Trek has had the bars wrapped at the shop. From a 1000 to a Madone.

Very odd.

And, for laying down that kind of cash on a Madone, I would anticipate the shop looking over every aspect of the bike before letting it leave the shop. That's just good customer service.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
They sure are. These nuts serve VERY little purpose, and often are the cause of problems when people over-tighten them. I've never used them, or the valve caps, on my road bike. On my commuter, I use the valve cap.
I like having the nut there when pumping up the tube. I can press the inflater over it without worrying about pushing the stem into tube or twisting the stem.

· Registered
819 Posts
I mentioned something about a sloppy tape job once while hanging out at the bike shop, and they also mentioned the Treks (and associated brands) all come pre-wrapped. I have since then seen them myself. The bike is pretty well assembled out of the box, there really isn't as much to do as you might think. I guess my position is, with wrenches assembling bike after bike all day, removing and re-wrapping every bar "just in case" it is loose is dumb. My bike came wrapped and I had no problems at all.

· Registered
294 Posts
I would a complete inspection before paying for and accepting the bike. I agree that the bike shop needs to do better, but take some responsibility yourself to check out the product before leaving the store.

85 Posts
Learn somthing new every day

Kerry Irons said:
Thanks again Kerry for enlightening me on something I'd never given any thought to. As a matter of fact, I've been quite meticulous about making sure the nut was tight...no thought about possible problems.
Thanks again,
Dave

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I don't know how it got started but when I was in gradeschool people had this thing when someone was called to the office on the intercom. The whole class would shout out:

"BUSTED!!! Can you say RAILROAD?"

· Registered
432 Posts
I have news for you. Even a $6000 bike can come from the shop with little niggling problems concerning build quality on them. You have every right to go back to the shop, be polite, and say you are unhappy with the quality of the wrapping. Bar tape is cheap and easy to replace so for good will almost every shop will do it for you. If they squalk they are not a good bike shop. oooorrrrr it is possible that you came across a bit crossly, possibly.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
24601 said:
I mentioned something about a sloppy tape job once while hanging out at the bike shop, and they also mentioned the Treks (and associated brands) all come pre-wrapped.
What? I worked at a Trek dealership (for a day... haha) and built a Lemond bike. I swear, that thing couldn't have come any less built. The BB and Cranks were installed, but the shifters, bars, levers, stem, tape all came seperately. I think the front der was on too, but the back came in a seperate plastic bag.

Geez. If a bike was going to come that far apart, I would rather they just send a bunch of little boxes with everything seperate. It would be nicer knowing that everything is done right, and torqued to spec, than letting soemthing leave wtih an overtightened, crossthreaded BBcup done by a machine.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
venus said:
$3000 Madone? 5.2? You paid too much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.