Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Get up this morning at 5L50am to go on a training ride (charity ride for MS150). Planned on doing 55 miles. Perfect weather. 1/2 way to ride, get pulled over for doing 71mph in a 60mph...that will cost about $100. Get to ride and register....$35 (didn't even get a t-shirt). At almost a whopping 10 miles into the ride in the lead group going ~24mph get a flat. Pull off, change tube, inflate with CO2 and BOOM. Examine tire more closely...tire shredded. Stand around for 30 minutes waiting for a sag wagon. Get ride back to start point and go home. Go to bike shop and get a new tire ($50) and two new tubes ($20). So all in all, I ended up paying $205 for a 10 mile ride and a pink 'hospital type' wrist band..not to mention gas money. Oh well, haven't had a flat in 51 weeks exactly (ride I plan on doing next Saturday was the last time I got a flat last year)...I was the only one in group that got a flat, just happened to catch a staple of some sort and it destroyed by rear tire...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Ouch! I'd ask if you're doing the great escape later this month, but it sounds you ride much faster than I do.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
here's a better idea

call a friend, say you'll meet somewhere at 6:30
pack some $ and food. go ride 55 miles for free, stop and refill your bottles
have lunch (or not)

all that 'organization' does stuff like that to ya

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Better yet, roll out your door and ride to your friends house.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh??

benchpress265 said:
Invest in a radar detector
Confused....and riding in Houston is tough...even when you get out somewhat, you still need cops and what not to stop traffic AND the rodeo is town and a bunch of 'cowboys' take over the park and camp there and let their horses sh*t everywhere in the park where it is safe to ride for the next week or so....was that a run on sentence....

EDIT...I get it now....tired. Get a radar detector to prevent getting more tickets...gotcha!

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
that's not expensive....try breaking the chainstay on your scott addict AND your collar bone in the same crash...put a $ amt on on the grief you will continually receive for doing it 6 weeks before your wedding while the missus is out of town.....oh, and the cost of surgery 4 weeks before the wedding and NOW you have an expensive ride....or so i've heard :rolleyes:

i guess you could add destroyed bibs and jersey to that as well....

along with a lazer helmet

oh yeah, and two campy record shifters

and a rear rim (luckily not carbon)

and two veloflex criterium tubulars

burroughs never would have payed that much for morphine

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
ampastoral said:
that's not expensive....try breaking the chainstay on your scott addict AND your collar bone in the same crash...put a $ amt on on the grief you will continually receive for doing it 6 weeks before your wedding while the missus is out of town.....oh, and the cost of surgery 4 weeks before the wedding and NOW you have an expensive ride....or so i've heard :rolleyes:

i guess you could add destroyed bibs and jersey to that as well....

along with a lazer helmet

oh yeah, and two campy record shifters

and a rear rim (luckily not carbon)

and two veloflex criterium tubulars

burroughs never would have payed that much for morphine
That's what happens when you ride on the sidewalk without a helmet.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
That's what happens when you ride on the sidewalk without a helmet.
lol

the helmet was broken, moreon :p

reply:...i guess the "dangling from the bars" method of helmet use leaves it open to destruction???

oh, and epic reading fail :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts