Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience on running Campagnolo EPS on a mechanical Pinarello Dogma 2. Currently I'm running mechanical Record 11 and toying with the idea of switching the electronic EPS. While I'm sure the grouppo can be installed on the mechanical frame, I'm wondering if the cables can be run internally without modifying (drilling holes) the frame. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have experience on running Campagnolo EPS on a mechanical Pinarello Dogma 2. Currently I'm running mechanical Record 11 and toying with the idea of switching the electronic EPS. While I'm sure the grouppo can be installed on the mechanical frame, I'm wondering if the cables can be run internally without modifying (drilling holes) the frame. Thanks!
Allow me to bump this post...

Any views on the above?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the club! You need to drill holes on the frame
I own a dogma and I was thinking of Di2 but ..after my research
I decided to keep mechanical

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone got experience on drilling the Dogma2 frameset to suit the internal EPS v2? 1 hole on either side of the main tube, one for front derailleur on the seat tube, and widening the exit hole on the rear stay to suit the cable for the rear derailleur? Is there enough space inside the tubes?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Enlarge one of the cable entry holes on the down tube and enlarge the front derailleur hole behind the base of the seat tube. If you use the internal battery you might drill a hole for the charger port.
It worked for my Di2, but I don't know the sizes of the EPS cables. The cables themselves are no problem, it's the connectors that determine how big a hole you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The EPS connectors are 7 mm wide. Hence, the main tube, the front derailleur hole and the seat stay hole should be drilled/enlarged. Wondering if it is possible to use the old holes in the main tube and in the seat stay - and if there is the required space inside the tubes. What about passage in the bottom bracket; plenty of cables are routed around there ....?

·
Registered
266 Posts
EPS comes with an internall BB sleeve the keeps the wires away from the BB axle. You can do this install very easily. If you need to drill holes, make sure you drill the Campagnolo recommended size, that way the rubber grommets that come with the group will fit in your holes properly and clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I realise it's a couple of years old but I've just found this thread while searching for information because I'm trying to convert my mech Dogma 2 to EPS and wondered if you managed to do it?
No. After heavy thinking I decided not to go for it. Considered it too risky. And the resale value would also decline if I went for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I managed to put EPS on my mech Dogma 2 eventually but had to admit defeat for now with running the rear mech wire through the chain stay because there is a restriction at one point preventing the EPS plug passing through. I can fit an outer gear cable through it but not the EPS plug. To get round this I enlarged the screw hole for the plastic cable guide on the underside of the bottom bracket and brought the rear mech wire out of the frame there then ran it along the underside of the chain stay to the mech. I secured it with a lenghty of insulation tape which I then covered with a piece of vinyl wrap the same colour as the frame used so it's neat, water won't get in and can't be seen unless you look underneath the bike. All the other wire entry/exit points were straight forward and drilled in the same places as on a factory built Dogma 2.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not a Dogma or even EPS for that matter, but I had a similar issue on an older TCR and DI2 I was helping a friend out with. For me the dropout was Al and I didn't want to drill the hole larger than it already was for the etube connector to pass through. My solution was to use a wire one size longer than ideal then cut, solder and use heat shrink tubing to reassemble after fishing it through the hole. Then with the extra length wire I pushed the joint back into the frame for extra protection. The wire itself was small enough to pass through without the connector, so cutting/splicing the connector seemed like an easy solution that was non destructive to the frame.
Maybe you can do something similar with your setup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I did consider that and that's why I said it had defeated me for now - I might end up going down the route of cutting and resoldering the wire if the vinyl wrap solution isn't robust enough. I didn't want to cut the cable at that time when there was an alternative solution to getting it all working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have decided to have a shot at it anyway....

At the chainstay; did you enlarge the existing hole for the mechanical wire - or did you drill a completely new hole? I think I will try to drill a new hole an inch next to the existing hole (between the existing hole and the BB)

However, I am not sure about the length of the EPS wire coming from the rear derailleur; what is the maximum distance from the dropout to the the hole if the cable junction is to be fitted neatly inside the chainstay?

The drilling is carried out by an experienced carbon engineer/mechanic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, there is plenty of length on the rear mech cable so that the connector will be inside the stay if you drill a new hole where you've proposed. I drilled mine between the existing inner cable exit hole and the dropout. The problem I had is passing the connector on the end of the wire from the battery through the stay from the BB end. I might have been unlucky with some surplus carbon or resin inside the stay but I wasn't able to pass anything larger than a gear outer cable through the stay.
I'll be interested to know how you get on and happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It works perfectly. I was never impressed with the feel of the internal rear mech operation on the Dogma 2. Even with a brand new cable it felt like there was too much friction caused by the routing inside chain stay so the EPS has resolved that. That's the 3rd bike I've got EPS on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.