Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer their opinions on the duability and stiffness of these two wheelsets for a 220lb rider? Or is it pretty much a wash?

Which would you choose and why?

Tim.

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Two totally different wheel sets. EA90SL are the EA90 SLX with a few more spokes thrown in to add lateral stiffness for larger riders or sprinters. The Ksyrium Elites are... well anvils. You couldn't break them with a hammer but they aren't much fun in the climbs. I was 230 when i started riding and i ride the EA90 SLX and have never broken a spoke or had to true the wheels. Needless to say you'd do great on ea90 sl. I have a set of Ksyrium SL3's on my race bike and I can attest to their quality, strength, and durability while remaining very light. Not to mention the Ea90 Sl are on a level with the ksyrium sl, not elite. hope that helps...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Elites are redesigned for 2009. Now only 1550 grams. Not super light but not boat anchors either. Here is the updated description:

"Product Description
1550 grams of pure technology. Forget what you know about the Ksyrium Elite, only the name remains the same. A radical reduction in weight and inertia will dramatically boost your accelerations and climbing performance.We have designed every single component with weight savings in mind while delivering the same proven Elite durability."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize that last years Elites were so different (heavy). It looks like the 09 Elites are more like the Ksyrium SL's of a couple years back.

Considering that the new Elites are lighter, which wheels would you guys prefer?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't have any experience with the EA90SLs. I have both the '09 Elites and set of SLs that's a few years old. No complaints with the durability of either set. I weigh 150# so I'm not usually hard on wheels though.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Wrong focus

tim stevens said:
Considering that the new Elites are lighter, which wheels would you guys prefer?
For a 220 lb rider? None of the above. A focus on shaving grams off your wheels at your weight is counter productive. Actually, it's not all that productive unless you are doing professional level racing up very long and steep climbs.

As an example, saving 225 gm (1/2 lb.) would increase your flat road speed by 0.01 mph (that's right: 53 feet per hour). On a 6% grade, it would increase your speed by 0.016 mph (84 feet per hour). It's meaningless unless it's the difference of winning the stage race. Durability, on the other hand, has actual value.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yer, that, and mavic are notorious liars.... they listed their SLs @ 1500g and were typically 100g heavier...

campy made a similar claim for redesigned ventos... down from an advertised 1.88kg to 1.75kg of the current ones.... only the truth is the current ones are around 1.88 and the older ones were a kilo or more...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have been riding a set of Easton Orion II's (where the EA 90 SL came from) since both are very similar wheels, only difference is the r3 hubs and the r4 for EA90. Easton makes very good hubs so that makes no difference to me, they are butter smooth.

The Orion II's are very durable. They make great training wheels at sub-1500g, I haven't had to true them after 2000 miles and they role very well. I don't know how this might apply to you since I only weight about 140lb, but I'm a beast at sprints and I've layed down lots of power and these wheels have never disappointed me. hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DT Swiss 1450s here. 195 lbs, no problems at all and they spin up fast.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just saw your other thread tim...I think if I were you, I'd build a set up with 32 holes Mavic open pro and a good hub...like white industry or DT swiss 240. That'd make great combo as well.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I think the Easton 90SLX are a fantastic wheel.
No one is exact on any of their components weights.
If you want a real wheel then go custom. They'll look as boring as hell, but they'll be better than production wheels. If you don't want to do that, the Eastons are very good especially since you can get the '08's for $550 at Performance right now. The HED Ardennes are another very good wheel.
I run SL's for the sole reason they look good to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 2009 Ksyrium elites and they are on their way back to Mavic for a rebuild. the back wheel would not stay true...I had it straightened 3 times. I weigh 190....

Could be a fluke. I don't know because this is my first experience with 700c wheels. i've ridden MTB for the past 10 years and never had a problem with Mavics before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice. Between the replies in this thread and reading the other 210lb wheel advice thread you have me thinking about BWW wheels.

Would you all consider the OpenPro-Dura-Ace 7850 wheels from BWW stiffer, and more robust in both the wheel build and hub? These wheels are only $409.00 and only about 50grams heavier than the Mavics?

At 220lbs should I go for the 28 or 32 whole rim?

Thanks again for the help.

Tim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.