Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with White Industries Hubs? Someone on a forum talked about them so I looked them up...having a Ti/Carbon bike made by Holland and thought this might look good on my wheels but wonder if anyone has an experience with em? Good? Light or heavy? Expensive?

Any other gorgous suggestions for a silver gorgeous hub?:aureola:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had (still have it, actually) a White Industries ENO hub on my SS mountain bike for three years, before I built up a true SS this year. It is smooth as butter after 3 years of use. I know they aren't extremely light, but they are pretty bulletproof and reasonably priced. If you don't care about money or weight, get a set of Phil's - I just built a set up for my fixed gear, and they are some incredible-looking hubs. The bearings are smoother than anything I have experienced, as well. And from what I hear, they're the last hubs I'll ever buy for this bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful!

Those are really classy looking. Do they make them all heavier or are there some lighter ones? The bike I am getting isn't the lightest one made, for sure (Exogrid) so was thinking that I might lighten up with the components. Want the "oh, and ah" quality for sure!

Thanks for the info and pics; loved them.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
White H1 hubs are light, beautiful, and durable. Did I mention beautfiul? They come standard polished. PM Ligero or Ergott about them. They've built tons of wheels with 'em. Ligero, at least, has also had them anodized in a lot o' different colors.

I have a WI H1 hubs in a wheelset, and they are damned fine. They've got about 5000 or so miles on 'em, and I've not layed a hand on 'em. Beautiful hubs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a White Industries wheelset. Light and expensive. The freehub is a bit noisy, but not as noisy as a King. If you're looking for absolute bomb-proof then you can't beat the Philwood. I've picked one up and had a chance to look at the internals. It uses something like 8 pawls whereas the WI has 3. The Phil's heavy though. The nice thing about both is that the bearings they use are just standard bearings that you can get just about anywhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a two sets of White Industries Hubs. A set of black H1 hubs and an older set (Tracker/RacerX) in silver. The black H1 I bought Troy at Ligero. They weren't that expensive and are lighter than Phil Wood hubs for a road bike.

I absoulutely love them. They spin so smoooth and are made to last. As for noise, I never even hear them when riding, guess I could if I thought to listen for them on a ride. I don't think they're anywhere near as loud as Chris Kings hubs (They're LOUD) or the hubs from my Rolf Vector Pro (I think they were Hugi Hubs).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about DT 190 ceramic? Any experience with em? They are not as dynamic looking and black instead of the silver..just wondering.

I think my LBS will be building DTswiss wheels for me; he does a great build I understand, but I want to do my own research on the hubs

·
Registered
267 Posts
One other thing I like about the WI hubs over other similar high-end aftermarket hubs (King, Phil, etc) is that they're easy to service (King requires a special tool) and you can buy either a Shimano or Campy freehub separately. Last time I checked the freehubs were $125.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
mikki said:
How about DT 190 ceramic? Any experience with em? They are not as dynamic looking and black instead of the silver..just wondering.

I think my LBS will be building DTswiss wheels for me; he does a great build I understand, but I want to do my own research on the hubs
I have a pair with over 400 miles now. They are VERY smooth and wondefuul. Not cheap though. They were dead slient when I go them. Now that they are broken-in, they have that usual DT buzz. No like CK though..,

https://light-bikes.com/BikePhotos/web_pics/DT190_FRONT.jpg
https://light-bikes.com/BikePhotos/web_pics/DT190_REAR.jpg

I've been doing a bunch of research on the WI hubs now. I have heard nothing but great things about them. I did'nt know much about them on the road side until I saw Liergo building a ton of them. I knew their MTB Eno hubs were great.

I have to say if I wanted a Polished hub, WI is that I would go for. They are VERY nice looking. The more I see them the more I like them.
Nothing looks as good as them IMO in polished.

·
Registered
444 Posts
From much experience I can say the White Industries hubs, and all their stuff for that matter, are high quality components (Performance wise, I would place White Industries, King, and Phil Wood in the same class). Service is straight forward and the company supports their products 100%! Plus it can be argued White Industries hubs are the best looking.

Regarding the so-called noise, you're supposed to pedal, not coast!?

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Nessism said:
I thought this thread was about hubs? :confused:

Sorry, I mentioned in my first post about not owning the hubs, but was writing about thier customer service. I thought you were asking because of my avatar (WI cranks).

However, I should be building up a mtb disc wheelset with white hubs in about a month or so when my new frame comes in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.