Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a custom frame in a year or so. I was originally considering Waterford and Independent Fabrication, but they are both pretty expensive and my closest Waterford dealer is 175 miles away (I live way out in the boonies, closest LBS 50 miles away). Then a poster on another forum suggested a Gunnar Sport, which is built by Waterford.

I'm looking for something with a more upright, touring type riding position, clearance for at least 28mm tires (32 would be even better), and I really like steel frames. Anyone here ever had a Gunnar Sport or any other Gunnar frame and, if so, how did you like it? What were its' good and bad points? Thanks in advance for all replies. Also, if anyone has suggestions for any other frame, I'd be glad to hear them.

My present bike is a 2001 Lemond Poprad and it has been a great ride, but I had a four disc spinal fusion and need something with a less stretched out riding position.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
I've had my Gunnar for 7 years now. It's an 853 main triangle, and some steel alloy I can't recall for the stays. It's my all time favorite bike.

The frame is wonderful. The price is terrific. The paint sucks.

The stainless steel stamped dropouts weren't available when I got mine, but I'd spring for them. The paint just flakes away from the dropouts.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have a Crosshairs that I used as a commuter in Hawaii and beer/store/beach runs here in Italy. It is an 06 model with a Waterford steel fork and stainless dropouts. I haven't had any issues with the paint. Overall I have been very pleased with the quality of the frame and would buy another Gunnar frame if it wouldn't involve a divorce attorney.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I had a Gunnar street dog built up as a fixie for several years. The bike was built with 853 and was stiffer than I like (I'm 165 lbs BTW) but was a great bike nontheless.

As someone said earlier, the paint sucked. Don't know if they have improved it since, but it was a chip machine.

Len

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Smokey, I have a 54 cm Sport for sale if you're interested.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, RC, but I'm afraid that 54cm will be too small. I'm 6'4" with an 88cm inseam and pretty long arms. My Lemond is a 59 and I wouldn't want anything smaller. Hope you get a good price for it and thanks again.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,303 Posts
The paint has improved in the last few years. Mine is a 05 model with paint and decals under a clear coat. Paint quality is the same as Waterfords now. The sport model is just the thing for 90% of bike riders.
If you insist on custom, the Gunnar line may not be the way to go. After you add all the custom charges, it won't be much cheaper than a Waterford R14 model (standard custom).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a stock 06 Roadie that had warranty paint issues. Amidst it all, the fine folks at Waterford allowed me to surrender the frame and get a custom frame for a reasonable upcharge. I love the bike, 2,100 miles since April and would love to be on it more.

I agree with the the R-14 comments, if you want to go custom and want something other than standard paint, it makes sense. That said, I would love to get an R-33 (True Temper S-3) with Gunnar decals -- stealth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 06 Street Dog (True Temper) that's been a great ride so far. Much better than my old 02 Specialized Foco bike, does everything about as well as my Tarmac.

Liked it so much that I purchased a Roadie frame to replace my R5000.

Haven't had any paint problems yet...if anything, the colors are very rich and deep.

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,046 Posts
I'm also 6'4" and am the owner of an '05 Roadie. You're going to want at least a 60cm frame. Mine is 62cm with a 120 stem. Don't hesitate to give Dave at Waterford a call if you have any questions. My paint job is beautiful, but paint chips have come from a dropped chain and during transportation on a hitch rack with other bikes.

I have found the bike to be extremely stable. I would expect the Sport to be even more so.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like Gunnar makes a good product. I may not need a custom, my shop has a Serotta fit cycle and they would probably make the determination. They're familiar with my back problems, too. I'm thinking of going Campognolo on the build, I've always had Shimano and would like to try Campy. My Shimano stuff has been very reliable, but I like the idea that Campy brifters have spare parts available and can be rebuilt. I use a handlebar bag quite a bit and it would be nice not to have cables in the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts