Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone reccomend Universalcycles.com?

Any horror stories?

Some sorta unusual items are priced so far below PerformanceBar that it's worth a serious look, and saves enough that double shipping is still economical... unless there is something fishy.

thanks

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
dogmeat said:
Can anyone reccomend Universalcycles.com?

Any horror stories?

Some sorta unusual items are priced so far below PerformanceBar that it's worth a serious look, and saves enough that double shipping is still economical... unless there is something fishy.

thanks
Ordered a set of cranks from them, after having that same "skeptical-from-the-price" feeling you are. Result? A pair of cranks that somehow came earlier than promised. The bargains seem hit or miss, but they remain on my list of sites to check when I'm contemplating an order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are legit.

They have a smallish retail space in their place of business. Kinda off the beaten path. Since they are a mailorder biz mainly, they are located in a nameless business park near the airport in Portland, OR.

Anywho, have never ordered from them via mailorder but I've been in several times and they indeed have some great prices. And the folks who work their know bikes, so that helps. . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had a good experience with them. I ordered a workstand and various tools from them. The tools were to be shipped in a seperate box attached to the workstand's box. In the shipping process the box of tools disappeared before they made it to my door. I called Universal and they shipped out the replacement tools the next day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys!

I tried to place an order yesterday- their website is clunky, and my order got reset somehow... maybe I fumble-fingered it.

They seem to have more MTB type stuff- which is occasionally a very good thing when looking for 26" ROAD TIRES!

I'll try again today

'meat

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had similar experiences with them

I ordered a Zipp stem from them but unfortunately they were out of stock and on backorder so the order was cancelled. They're pleasant and professional on the phone and won't hesitate to try them again in the future. The checkout process IS a bit clunky. I accidentally doubled my order because I hit 'pay with PayPal' in error.

Good site otherwise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not so positive

Due to very good prices, I ordered two things from them. They cancelled my order saying neither were in stock. They fumbled with my money for a few days before it was back in my account.

I also asked them to delete all of my personal and credit card information from their system, and I never received a reply from them

They should not have let the payment/order proceed if they were out of stock of something and did not plan to honor their price by backordering.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good experience... they're on my list now

Overall, things went ok with my order.

On the plus side, their prices were very good on some items, and had some good stuff. Stuff arrived in reasonable time.

On the minus side, their website was clunky, and the shipping prices were about $20 for $200 of tires and a jersey... seems high. Well, they had a coupon, so shipping was really free.

I saved about $48 over the best prices I could find elsewhere... so far, so good!

'meat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hit or miss

I've had a good experience once, and some pretty awful ones too.

The main problem w/ this company, despite their competitive prices, is that their website can be VERY inaccurate, as far as indicating whether or not items are in stock or on backorder. If they're on backorder... good luck. I waited 3 weeks for a pair of tires, w/ no notice from them whatsoever. If it wasn't for my constant phone calls inquiring about order status, I bet that I wouldn't have heard from them at all. I requested that they be sent 2day as a courtesy gesture - they charged me half, and the picked up the other half. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm in the process of getting a Jet Blast from them. Ordered online Sunday, site said ships in 3 working days. I called this afternoon and was told it would ship today instead of Wed, which is cool. Got a UPS tracking number shortly after. Guess it's a bit early to comment, but so far so good. Some things have free shipping or shipping credits, and with the coupon I think I got a great deal. Certainly the best price Ive found on what I bought.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My light came in, but rather than recieving the bar mount version I wanted I got the helmet mount. The box was labeled bar, but had the wrong contents. More jets fault than UCs, but apparently no one opened to check before shipping. I called them and was told they would email me a return shipping label to send it back, and then, once they got some bar mount lights in stock they would send one out. Not exactly what I wanted to deal with after anxiously waiting for and paying two day shipping to get what was supposedly in stock, but having no real alternative i agreed. Initially they didnt seem to want to 2nd day my replacement, even though that's what I originally paid for, but in the end I got a verbal agreement to do so. Later, since I needed the light for a ride that night, I called back and said it seemed like more hassle than it was worth and i'd just keep the helmet mount one, but asked about purchasing the bar mount bracket. The guy said he'd order me one and it would show up in my account online, but so far it doesn't.
I guess my point is that service, as santa says service is hit or miss and you may not get what you order.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i ordered some paul brakes from them last friday, they havnt even shipped them yet (now its wed.) Although they only cost $160 including 2 day shipping, whereas i saw them on another website for $200 w/o shipping...anyone know why it would take them around 5 days to ship my stuff?

·
Registered
485 Posts
WOW....... i just checked my order: heres what i ordered:
1 paul neo/retro brake $81
1 paul touring brake $81
total: $162
discount: $16.20 off
shipping: 2nd day: 17.55

grand total: $163.35.....right?

Well... they are now trying to charge me $179.55 (thats w/o the discount)

now the discount ended last night, and i ordered it last friday but they arent shipping it until today. so the discound doesnt count now????!!!!!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I would call them and make them give you the discount. It was active when you ordered it. Might be an oversight on their part.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Universal is a good place to shop but beware that their inventory listed is their supplier's inventory (QBP). So they need to ordered it first and then ship it out to you so it does take a while.

·
Registered
485 Posts
so.. update.. they shipped it tonight, and acording to his email they are going to charge me 163..hopefully i get them by friday... can you get paul brakes from QBP? if you can i should have ordered it from the LBS...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts