Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating between an '06 Tarmac Pro or an '06 Tarmac Expert. The major differences are the wheels, DA shifters and rear derailleur (expert has full Ultegra), FSA crank and carbon bars and stem. I am thinking the only real advantage to the Pro is the wheels.
My thought is to go with the Expert and with the money I save get new shoes and pedals.
I welcome feedback on whether the Pro is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tarmac Expert

I weighed the same issues. What sold me on the Expert was the full ultegra group rather than a mixed component set. I upgraded the wheel set to Mavic Elites for $200 extra. Great bike, out the door with pedals and bottle cages for less than $3000.

It rides great and as I understand, Ultegra and Dura Ace perform similarly with Dura Ace being lighter but needing tuning more often.

I did however 86 the Alias seat later and went back to the Avatar since I had ridden that saddle many miles, I found the Alias uncomfortable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave. I will see if my LBS will swap out the wheels. The wheels are my only concern. How have your wheels held up? Why did you do the upgrade? My research has me thinking that the hubs are better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was looking at the tarmac pro but got the S-works E5. I think the E5 is much better ride and the tarmac dosen't ride that noticale difference. Also it full Dura ace with SL wheels for 200 less then the Pro. I check to see if your LBS has any of these around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Mavic Equipe Wheels are the lower end of Mavic's line, although there is nothing wrong with them, I ride with several guys who have them.

I upgraded wheels because I was having spoke problems on a set of stock Alex 395's that came on my Allez. I decided to spend a little more on wheels this time. The main difference is aero spokes and hubs.

The whels have been fine, but have needed truing once since. I understand this is common.....I have ridden them about 500 miles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts