Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we were having summer-like weather today in DC the MUTs were sure to be NUTs. We decided to do some off road exploring.

I rode over to the Hill to meet Miss M and we headed for the wilderness.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They looked like an abandoned dump to us but the city says different;

Kingman Island and Heritage Island Parks

A City-Wide Resource for Environmental Education, Recreation, and Reflection

Project Overview

Kingman Island and the adjacent Heritage Island will become a publicly accessible park that reconnects local citizens with the astonishing natural wonders of the Anacostia River.

The District is working with the US Army Corps of Engineers (US-ACE) to restore the 45-acre parcel of land that lies at the center of many neighborhoods along the Anacostia River. The US Army Corps of Engineers (US-ACE) created Kingman and Heritage Islands in 1916 from dredged sediment taken from the Anacostia River.

The islands were originally planned as a recreational area for the surrounding neighborhoods, but they have been neglected and abused for decades. The National Park Service owns Kingman Island’s northern half as part of Langston Golf Course. Ownership of the southern portion of the island was transferred from the US Department of Interior to the District of Columbia in December 2000. The five-acre Heritage Island is to the west of Kingman Island. Plans include the restoration of the island’s natural wetlands and wildlife habitat and the creation of trails, outdoor classrooms, and a memorial grove of trees dedicated to District residents who were victims of the 9/11 tragedy.

Another proposed element for the project is an Environmental Education Center that will be a premier destination for learning about the river’s restoration and the importance of environmental preservation.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a few more minutes on the quietest MUTs in town it was time to cross the city in our usual familiar chaos then up the hill and home.

Nice summer commute. :thumbsup:

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
MB1 said:
They looked like an abandoned dump to us but the city says different
That shot from under the bridge with light coming through a line in the center is really, really cool.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kykr13 said:
That shot from under the bridge with light coming through a line in the center is really, really cool.
I am pretty happy with that one, the one of the bus and the last one of the Capitol.

For some unknown reason I set the resolution on the P-n-S to full (normally to save memory I shoot at about 1/2 resolution) and the images seem to have come out a little nicer than usual..... I know it shouldn't make any difference for posting on the web but there it is.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great stuff; I love the little bits of wild in the city. I love the shot (near the beginning) under the bridge; the lines of light are awesome.
There is an old landfill/park near my house that wasn't capped properly and it's been abandoned; it's very interesting. I've ridden there before; if I can get time in again soon I'll try to take picts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts