Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exploring the Shore - Delaware

I have spent a sinfully long time off my bikes so this weekend I went to the beach to log some semi-flat miles.
I went inland this time as opposed to riding the coastal highway. I logged 45.8 miles which made me happy and I didn't feel a lot of pain (other then from the saddle) today which makes me even happier.
I'll try to create a map as we've had people ask about Rehoboth route suggestions before.

1-3 Route 24 West had some nice shady spots and a wide shoulder. Passed some local campgrounds in the woods.
4. Why live in an empty field? If you're gonna live in the middle of nowhere why not have some nice trees in the yard (for shade and windblock).

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
and more

This was a super cool salvaged-metal yard art place! :thumbsup:

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
more scenery

#1. This place looks like the victim of some weird horror story about vines.
#2. SMELLY Chicken processing! (and the road here was dodgy as there was a curb and the shoulder was full of large gravel).
#3. This was a nice sight that I saw a few times. Marked bike lanes near traffic areas.
#4-5 This is a golf community in progress. It spanned both sides of the road and had lots of ponds and canals. Looked like some of the holes were finished and lots more were coming.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
again

#1. I saw a lot of turtles but this turtle was noteworthy.
#2. Just outside Millsboro there is this lovely dam.
#3-4 Eel Elevator

What you can't see are the HUNDREDS of large fish vying for space below the falls! I tried to take a pic but you can only see shadows.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
#1 This sign means time to turn for "home". Stopped in Georgetown for slice of pizza and a diet soda then headed out again.
#2 Saw a sign for a Corgi breeder around mile 35 and had to stop for a pic. They were barking so loud I didn't hang around long.
#3 At mile 39 I saw a sign for Dairy Rd, then saw sign for a Dairy, then saw sign for a Creamery with Homeade Ice cream. Stopped for a double, pistachio and coffee, but couldn't finish it.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My favorite beach ride is a little south of where you were -- Route 54 through the cypress swamp. But, it was a great weekend and I am glad that you were able to get in some miles. How was the wind? Maybe I have spent too much time on the Western Shore, but I would rather have hills and no wind than Eastern Shore flats with strong winds -- at least you can see the hills and know how long they are.

Thanks for the pics.:thumbsup:

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Eels, Corgis and ice cream. Nice. Spent many days in Georgetown at the U of D Ag Substation. Good oyster fest at the firehouse, too.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Nice stuff. Now stay on the bike!!!!!!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Nice mix of critters and cream. What kinda fish? Just eels?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You've got some fine images here but the very first is my fave!

You look Bad Azz (in a good way). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice pics. I am planning a double century this year. Rehoboth is my destination. I am coming from Pa. Any suggestion on a safe/scenic route between Dover and Rehoboth?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Out enjoying a nice bike ride with pictures, what could be better.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bigrider said:
Nice stuff. Now stay on the bike!!!!!!
Got in a quick ride today before the storms hit.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MarkS said:
My favorite beach ride is a little south of where you were -- Route 54 through the cypress swamp. But, it was a great weekend and I am glad that you were able to get in some miles. How was the wind? Maybe I have spent too much time on the Western Shore, but I would rather have hills and no wind than Eastern Shore flats with strong winds -- at least you can see the hills and know how long they are.

Thanks for the pics.:thumbsup:
I'll check out that ride when I go back next month; I didn't know about that. Thanks Mark.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kykr13 said:
Very cool shot. Would that happen to be a Lounge jersey under the jacket?

Why yes, it was the maiden voyage of my Lounge kit.

Thanks MB1, was using my cheapy point-and-shoot and using the misdirection trick to reduce the white balance. Since I love shooting from the bike I'll get a decent p&s one of these days.

Delaware puts out cycling maps by county, which include notations of roads with "bikeways" bike lanes or wide shoulders.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Great shots. The house of horrors looks scary. I like the turtle shot. It looks like he's getting affectionate with that log. :)

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
tturbotom said:
Nice pics. I am planning a double century this year. Rehoboth is my destination. I am coming from Pa. Any suggestion on a safe/scenic route between Dover and Rehoboth?

Bike Route 1.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts