Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running short on space for my macbook and I'm going to be picking up a new portable drive for working (not backup) usage. I've got a 1TB drive for backup. I'd like to be able to put my Aperture Library directly on the drive and run from there. I'm just wondering if the interface will be fast enough for this? I have zero experience with firewire but I'll probably go with something with FW800 to help with the transfer rates. I'm trying to stay under 100-120 bucks so I'll probably go with a 500GB drive.. I guess if it isn't fast enough I'll break up the library into smaller chunks and put the older stuff on the external drive..

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Get this and get an eSATA drive. Crazy fast.

Also, spend a little more and get at least 1TB. 500GB can go pretty quickly, so you'd have to upgrade down the road anyway.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't go with esata card on the macbook. I went with a 500 Seagate Freeagent which can be upgraded to FW800 with a cable. I'll get the 1TB later that can use the same cable and religate this one to true portable status. I needed to get it done today because I wanted to have it moved before my trip this coming week.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
FW800 is decent but there's another thought: if you have a way of connecting to the drive via gigabit ethernet it's faster yet.

I have my old G5 Mac connected to my Corei7 iMac and it's fast under FW800 but the transfer rates I get from my gigabit ethernet connection are faster yet and that's what I use.

I also use it to connect the Macs to the Windows PCs I have in the house to share/use their drives too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts