Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what this actually is, but I assume it was genuinely used for a purpose and not just some novelty. I like the wooden brake shoes... and the gearing looks like this thing is made to move. I have no idea what the water tanks are for. I assume hydration for the engine? I stumbled across this on bike ride near Figgjo, and apologize for the phone cam images.

· Low Idiot Tolerance
465 Posts
Looks like something made to go around an orchard or something like that. The pickers ride along, and pick the fruit to put into the wooden trays.

It's hinged to go around corners.

Pretty inventive, I'm gonna show my father this one, he likes restoring antique farm machinery and he'll get a kick outta this thing.

Thanks for sharing, that's way cool.

Grumps

· Registered
9,579 Posts
Seeing that the thing is sitting on full gage RR tracks I doubt that it's used to pick fruit. It must be sitting on an abandoned right of way or maybe it's owned by a Rail Road museum or some such. Whatever it's sitting on I hope that it's a loop because otherwise it'd have to be peddled in reverse to get back to where it started. Or lifted off the rail and physically turned around, unless there's a Y at either end of the right of way which would solve the problem.

The big question is, Where does the guy that beats the cadence on the drum sit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.