Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is almost 35 years old, didn't ride his first Grand Tour until he was 31, and has never won a major race. He's sitting in 3rd place overall 50 seconds back, with the two biggest mountaintop finishes of the race in the next two days, and he's probably the best pure climber in the bunch. Could be a great story.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
he's been strong over the past couple years, exclusively in races in espana, on a continental pro squad.
he'll pop and finish about 8-15, which is still pretty good.
its a pity that anton crashed out the way he did.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I was just happy to see Barredo make an attack stick!
Nice job, Carlos!

·
off the back
15,453 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
he's been strong over the past couple years, exclusively in races in espana, on a continental pro squad.
he'll pop and finish about 8-15, which is still pretty good.
its a pity that anton crashed out the way he did.

He's finished top five the last two times he's ridden the Vuelta, I think, so I don't see him cracking and finishing any lower than that.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
rufus said:
He's finished top five the last two times he's ridden the Vuelta, I think, so I don't see him cracking and finishing any lower than that.
He's locked up second on GC. The question is whether he can crack Nibali, perhaps grab some bonus seconds if he finishes top 3 this Saturday on the stage, and then squeek into the top GC spot going into Madrid.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
fornaca68 said:
He's locked up second on GC. The question is whether he can crack Nibali, perhaps grab some bonus seconds if he finishes top 3 this Saturday on the stage, and then squeek into the top GC spot going into Madrid.
He actually has a pretty good chance of taking time of Nibali, as Nibali has been vulnerable on the summit finishes. The Bola del Mundo is reportedly very steep, which definitely favors Mosquera over Nibali.

But let's wait and see what happens and then even more importantly, what comes back from the lab. Mosquera's TT performance seemed to be a whole lot better than ever seen before. Plus his DS is Alvaro Pino, who orchestrated the Kelme squad for many, many years. I'm just sayin'....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Eric_H said:
He actually has a pretty good chance of taking time of Nibali, as Nibali has been vulnerable on the summit finishes. The Bola del Mundo is reportedly very steep, which definitely favors Mosquera over Nibali.
Mozquera surrendered 12 seconds to Nibali today. Attentive riding by Nibali (and Velits). Every stage counts.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
harlond said:
Mozquera surrendered 12 seconds to Nibali today. Attentive riding by Nibali (and Velits). Every stage counts.
The finish today was riveting. What a pace those last kilometers! it was great and looked extremely painful.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Mosquera finally got his big win. Between Nibali, Mosquera, and Rodriguez, they did a great job lighting up the race after Anton's crash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts