Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of idle curiosity I weighed my Madone and my Neuvation today. Having hefted both of them I was surprised that the Neuvation seemed to weigh a noticeable amount less.

And the scale backed that up... in fact, it's 2lbs less. And there weren't even pedals on the Madone when I weighed it! Otherwise they were equally kitted up (seat packs, bottle cages, rear blinky, etc. Aside from different cages they've got all the same kit on them).

I figure about a pound of it's in the wheels, with some of the rest in the groupset (105 vs Force). There's probably still half a pound floating around in there somewhere.

I was pretty surprised. F100 is quite the deal. I still like 'em both though!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
not sure why you'd be suprised that the cheapest CF bike you can get from Trek wouldn't be that light?

turns out that just because it's made of CF don't mean it's light

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just comparing relative weights. I didn't say anything about the Madone "not being that light".

They're both pretty light to me, given my last bike weighed 28 pounds.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
whats the weights and specs of each of them? Can you remove all the add on stuff like lights and bags and pumps and reflectors?

·
Registered
432 Posts
do you like the R28s? I have a set of the M28 Aero and like them quite a bit. I've considered picking up a set of the R28s for another bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skyliner1004 said:
whats the weights and specs of each of them? Can you remove all the add on stuff like lights and bags and pumps and reflectors?
Don't really care about the absolute weights but if I had to venture a guess I'd say the F100 comes in at 17lbs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
seemana said:
do you like the R28s? I have a set of the M28 Aero and like them quite a bit. I've considered picking up a set of the R28s for another bike.
They've been good so far although I've only got 50 miles on them. One slight annoyance is that I seen to be getting some creaking from where the spokes cross. The guys at neuvation told me to put a little oil on them! We'll see how that works.

I got them because the price difference when I bought the bike was only $35 compared to the M28s, seemed like a no brainer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd guess the frames are about equal in weight. It's worth mentioning the trek is a 56 and the f100 is a 58. As for group, the trek is mostly 105 (tiagra brakes) and the f100 is mostly force (rival brakes).

·
Registered
851 Posts
heffergm said:
Don't really care about the absolute weights but if I had to venture a guess I'd say the F100 comes in at 17lbs.
My 54cm F100 with full Rival and full carbon fork was exactly 17 lbs as received from Neuvation, with R28 Aero4's, no pedals or cages, and an alloy Ritchey seatpost instead of the carbon fiber one that was on backorder at the time.

Asad

·
Registered
17 Posts
there is over a pound difference in the groupset alone. just comparing sram force (sub 2000 grams) to 105 (2559 grams) results in easily over a pound. People always forget that frame weight is a relatively small fraction of total bike weight

·
Registered
213 Posts
all that low end bontrager stuff packs on weight too: 350 gm seat, 300 gm setapost, 350 gm bars, 250 gm stem, 2000 gm wheels...

my LBS put the 4.5 on the scale and it was 20.5 with pedals.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point. A bit here and there ads up. The seat's already gone (what an ass hatchet that thing was... ouch!). So there's 100g there.

Seat post is probably another quick fix (and I have to confess... I hate all this Bontrager branding everywhere. It's bad enough that Trek is pasted over every square inch of the frame).

Am I correct in assuming it's a 27.2? If so, any good recommendations for a replacement?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
What's impressive is that his Neuvation has a larger frame and is lighter. Even with better components- which says a lot- the larger framed Neuvation is lighter than the Trek. Due to pricepoint and carbon marketing hype, one would assume that even an entry-level carbon bike from a company like Trek would at least be the weight of a no-name aluminum bike like the Neuvation. Add to the fact that Neuvation has an a warranty that is just as awesome and it shows that you can get good for less.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd actually expect the frames to be about equal in weight if I were to exchange the components (noteably the wheels) and make them like for like. Between the groupset, the wheels and the rest of the bits and pieces, there are about two pounds which accounts for the disparity.

But yeah, the Neuvation is a great buy, no question.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
seemana said:
I like mine a lot. I bought a set of M28's in spring of 2009 and rode them all year commuting. For some reason, I had an urge to buy another set this spring and got a set of the R28's. I've been pleased with them. He changed his decals and the rims are now black, so they look nicer. Been riding them all summer with no issues. I like Nuevation wheels. For the money, you can't beat them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts