Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Very interesting timing to have a chain failure though. Even more interesting that he took the time to find the chain and take it with him.

·
Registered
681 Posts
gh1 said:
Very interesting timing to have a chain failure though. Even more interesting that he took the time to find the chain and take it with him.
That's a professional, it'll be beneficial to everyone to analyse what went wrong.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
function said:
That's a professional, it'll be beneficial to everyone to analyse what went wrong.
Yep. Plus he can use it to strangle the SRAM rep.

·
Registered
359 Posts
true, SRAM chains use a quick link so no pin pressing. its was just a bad luck failure. last year david millar broke a DA chain, so did that mean that DA chains are bad, no. it just happens

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
I understand the SRAM 10sp quick link is not to be used twice. However, some people do use it twice. Not sure it broke at the quick connect, but that seems a good place for this to happen.

(btw, I wrote this onan iPod touch and it auto-corrected my lowercase sram to SRAM.)

pretender said:
What could the mechanic possibly have done to have caused the failure?

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Everbody I know that rides Sram has had chain problems. I thought it was common knowledge, but I guess someone forgot to mention that to the team....

·
Registered
481 Posts
For my SRAM 10 sp 1070 chain.First it was noisy, then it wore in after 1000 miles, after 2000 miles it had hit the recommended chain stretch limit. Replaced it with a KMC that I like a lot.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I've had 2 break-1 at the power connector and 1 was a regualr link. The failure of the connector was b/c a wrench at the lbs used it 2x, the other was just my massive power output:p :rolleyes:
Since then, over 2k miles w/out any problems...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
10 speed chains (or 11)

powerful riders and steep Muurs are a recipe for failure

·
Registered
315 Posts
Never broke a Sram chain, but broke lots of shitmono chains....
Everything fails...So, when someone gets a flat, do they get rid of the tire brand?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I'm with atp on this one. A situation like the Muur, it's easy to get cross-chained then try to do a double-shift under full power, and bang.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts